Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

29 Posts

November 15th, 2018 13:00

DELL SSD Warranty

I purchased a DELL OptiPlex 5050 ~18 months ago, this has a 3 year warranty.  In the 18 months that I have had  the OptiPlex I have had the mouse and keyboard replaced.   Now it looks as if the SSD will need replacing.

The OptiPlex has W10 Pro installed and I get dozens of Event ID 55 errors showing up in the Event Viewer:-"

"A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume ??.
The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record.  The file reference number is 0x9000000000009.  The name of the file is " "

This points to the SSD.  I have run HD tune and it reports the SSD as being 76% healthy.  The SSD is an SK Hynix and I have also used their software to check the condition of the disc and it also reports 76% healthy.  Ironically I have also used DELL's Support Assist but this does not highlight any problems.  I am keeping an eye on the SSD but am obviously concerned that is has lost ~25% capacity in 18 months. 

What would be DELL's response to my request for a replacement.  I have read elsewhere that DELL fits parts from returned computers to new machines, that being the case this SSD might have seen some use before I got the machine.

I'd welcome some comments, I'm in the UK by the way.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2018 13:00

SSD's are consumables like batteries.  They have a maximum number of writes.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 15th, 2018 14:00

@optijohn,

Go ahead and send me a PM with your service tag and we'll see what support options we have.

Typically if a drive fails EPSA diagnostics we'd replace it if it's under warranty. To run the diagnostics, power up the unit and when you see the Dell screen, start to tap the F12 key till you see the one time boot menu. Once there, select diagnostics and report the results.

29 Posts

November 16th, 2018 12:00

DELL-Justin C  - PM sent, thanks.

No Events found!