Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

1 Message

December 28th, 2020 09:00

Dell 9010 Desktop with GTX1650 video card

Hi: Just posting about a recent experiment with my Optiplex 9010 desktop and a Zotac GTX 1650 low profile video card in case it may be of interest to others. 

I have a 9101 desktop with I7-3770 CPU that I have been using as a home theatre/streaming machine for some time. Recently, I wanted to see if I could do some light gaming on it also. So I dropped in a Zotac GTX 1650 low profile video card. No problems installing and it was up and running as soon as the graphics drivers downloaded. 

Now the published spec from Dell state that the desktop version of the 9010 can push only 50 watts to the pci-e slot (the MT version can push 75). The video card spec is for 75 watts. Also the power supply in the 9010 desktop is only 250 watts, while the video card recommends 300w.

After installing the card, I purchased 3DMark on Steam (85% discount right now) and ran the Time Spy benchmarks and GPU stress tests. I also installed GPU-Z to monitor the system stats. I was mildly surprised that the 3DMark score for the system was above average for this CPU-video card combination. It also passed multiple stress tests and the video card ran at higher than stock Mhz. 

GPU-Z indicated that the card is being bound by the wattage of the pci-e slot (this card gets all its power from the slot) as expected. However, in reviewing the stats from the stress tests, the slot was providing an average of 71 watts to the slot. So not the full 75 watts that the card is designed for, but much more than the 50 watt stated spec and close enough to the card spec to still modestly overclock and be stable in running.

Temps were also OK, given the case has only one fan. GPU maxed out at around 80C while the CPU was staying under 60C (most of the games are not CPU intensive).  The bottleneck calculator website suggests that the 1650 and I7 3770 are a pretty good match. Core i7-3770 & GeForce GTX 1650 | Bottleneck calculator | PC Builds (pc-builds.com)

I might experiment with ways to get some more air flow through the case, just to keep the noise of the GPU fans down to a minimum, but otherwise am impressed how well this has worked with a stock Optiplex 9010 desktop.

I have been playing Forza 7 and F1 2019 (high settings) with no issues. Very pleased with what this old system can still do.

• 

25K Posts

December 29th, 2020 03:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

December 29th, 2020 18:00

I'm well aware of specs as well.  However, as long as it's Dell, Dell 240w-290w PSU's can power up to 75w cards.  Also, GPU cards don't always use the full wattage listed.

YouTubers have had videos for quite some time of their Dell SFF's (240w PSU), DT's (250w PSU), and MT's (275w-290w PSU) running up to 75w cards.

Optiplex 9010 DT + GTX 1650 + YouTube List  Regular size print:  The GTX 1650 SUPER and the GTX 1660 came up in that list, which we know requires higher watt PSU's.

Thank you for your informative post!

14 Posts

January 4th, 2023 14:00

It'll work fine. Like what @@bradthetechnut said, most GPU cards don't use the maximum Wattage all the time. I have a Zotac GTX 1650 in my 7010, works fine for Forza Horizon 5 at high settings gets 80 fps. Minecraft shaders gets 85 fps. It's pretty good for it's price.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 4th, 2023 14:00

Just so you know, I no longer stand behind my posts from 2 years ago and putting 75w cards in DT's and SFF's.  It is outside of Dell specs.  If somebody does it, and it works, I won't go against it.  There is the possibility of shortening the life of the PSU, which I've also seen in this forum.  7010 & 9010 MT's have 275w PSU's which handle 75w cards just fine.

No Events found!