Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2021 23:00

Dell OptiPlex 390 Random shutdowns and refusal to turn on after unplugging

So... My dell is not 100% stock.

I do have a 16 GB of RAM and a GTX 1060 in here 

before I did this upgrades obviously I had to upgrade the power supply because it wasn’t enough to handle the graphics card

so I got a new PSU  The computer worked fine for about three months then I experienced a random shut down didn’t think anything of it just thought it over heated... then it did it again the next day 

I opened up the Computer and reseated  everything. I go to plug it in and it doesn’t turn on the only signs of power or the amber light on the motherboard (((no other lights))).

Eventually after messing around with stuff he does eventually turn on. 

it’s just starting to annoy me now is there any fix to this because I have so far seen nothing on this issue besides an old article from 2014 

help is much appreciated thanks -Sam 

February 18th, 2021 17:00

OK so after further testing of the machine I figured the issue out

It appears to be the (dell chassis intrusion switch) i’m guessing this malfunctioned somehow. 

further testing 100% confirms this as the issue  @redxps630 @bradthetechnut 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 18th, 2021 06:00

Try clear CMOs settings.  For this test remove GTX 1060 and connect monitor to onboard video.

The CMOS contains the current BIOS settings. To reset the CMOS and clear those settings:

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the electrical outlet.

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Locate the 2-pin password connector (PSWD) on the system board.

4. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug.

5. Locate the 2-pin CMOS jumper (RTCRST) on the system board.

6. Move the 2-pin jumper plug from the password jumper to pins into the CMOS jumper.

7. Plug in AC power to the system and wait ten seconds for the CMOS to clear.

8. Move the 2-pin jumper plug back to the password jumper.

If no change, test optiplex 390 using old stock psu (remove new psu and remove GTX 1060) to test onboard video.

February 18th, 2021 16:00

I’ve already tried everything you listed above no change @redxps630 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

try remove all rams and reseat only one ram stick in DIMM1. If one of the ram is bad, system may still boot but becomes unstable and can shut down randomly.  Ideally test system with a different working ddr3 ram.  If that is not practical and you have 4 ram sticks in system now, chances are not all of them are bad. By testing each one by itself individually, you can isolate the bad one.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

If the battery hasn't been replaced within the last 5 years, now is a good time to do so.  A bad battery will cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated bizarre problems.  That also resets CMOS, which doesn't do any good if the battery low.

Could you please upload a photo of the label on the PSU.  It's the label that shows how much power is available on all of the rails.  While it worked for 3 months, we should still make sure all of the rails have enough power.

No Events found!