Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

June 6th, 2021 10:00

Dell OptiPlex 960 failed BIOS update

Greetings all. First post here, so if it isn't formatted correctly, there's my reason. Anyways, I've been having some issues installing a BIOS update on my 960. I've been trying to do it through Windows and DOS to no avail. I've tried clearing the RTC, unplugging for 1 minute and trying again, etc. But every time I try to flash the updated BIOS, it just says "The firmware image failed one or more consistency checks". Am I doing something wrong? I've downloaded the file multiple times, triple checked the checksum, and made sure to safely remove my USB drive from the computer. And if required, the current revision of the BIOS is A15. I'm trying to update it to get 4GB DIMMs working in it, which I've seen people successfully getting it to work. Thanks.

June 6th, 2021 11:00

So, what should I do now? Try downloading it again? Or is there a 3rd party BIOS flasher I can use to flash it?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 6th, 2021 11:00

"The firmware image failed one or more consistency checks". 

Its either infected with malware and or its a corrupted download.

77 Posts

June 6th, 2021 15:00

1) Always download from a trusted site. In your case Dell. Never download from any site other than the manufacturer.

2) Always use encrypted mode (SSL over http i.e. https) This gives the browser a chance to check the site's certificate for authenticity.

3) Always check the downloaded file's hash before doing anything else with it and as soon as the download is complete. Usually both MD5 and SHA256 are available, if both are correct the file has been uploaded to the server and donloaded to your system successfully. If neither are correct Something Has Gone Wrong, discard the downloaded file. If only one is correct it is certain that the file or the hashes on the supplying site have been tampered with. (I've seen forged MD5 but not yet forged SHA256) Report such instances to the site!

4) Then scan the file with a good virus checker, preferably more than one of them.

All OK? Good to go. Remember to connect the system to an uninterruptible power supply before attempting to actually overwrite the BIOS ROM as a power spike or brownout will probably brick your system.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 6th, 2021 18:00

Internet connection should also be reliable with no interruptions during, which it sounds like you have.

If it hasn't been done in the last 5 yrs., replace the size 2032 CMOS battery.  A bad battery will cause seemingly unrelated bizarre problems.  It can also have a direct effect on BIOS as it powers it with PC off.

No Events found!