Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2019 11:00

Dell OptiPlex - Solid amber light, lights 2,3,4 blinking

Hi,

I have ALL external connections (except power and monitor), HD and memory disconnected. Power on comes up blank monitor screen, no beeps , amber power light, blinking 234. During power on, fan starts slowly and within 2 or so seconds on full blast and it stays that way. Power supply has green light. ram battery is good (3.3V). Looking for thoughts. Motherboard LED is on.

Thanks

Tom

3 Posts

December 26th, 2019 14:00

My solution was to replace the motherboard. No idea how to reflash the bios if, indeed, that was the problem.

478 Posts

August 12th, 2019 14:00

Tom, you didn't mention what model or size of optiplex, so I don't know if this will help, but have a look at this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-990-Amber-Light-2-3-4/td-p/4395061

3 Posts

August 12th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the info. It doesn't appear to be usb-related. Is there any way to fix a corrupt BIOS?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2019 15:00

A 2-3-4 LED error codes point to system BIOS corruption or a USB short circuit error.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 18th, 2019 20:00

Hi LKsaawin, was there any recent BIOS/ software updates on the system? Please private message us the service tag of the system so that we can check on the system warranty.

Regards,

Akshatha

1 Message

December 18th, 2019 20:00

i have same issue facing 

1 Message

December 25th, 2019 15:00

Spoiler

Hello,
I have a Dell OptiPlex 990 as well with the same problem. Diag lights 2, 3 & 4 are flashing and the power light is solid amber. What are the chances 2 machines doing this in the same week? Mine just rebooted watching TV on it. And on reboot I had the error lights flashing. I have pulled all hardware that was installed one at a time and still the same results. If it's the BIOS, I installed A24 several months ago. Could it be a recent update from the Dell Support Assistant or Windows update? I am running Windows 10 PRO.

Thanks,

Tyler

• 

25.1K Posts

December 26th, 2019 11:00

Hi TylerAlb,

We have contacted you on private message requesting to share the requested details, for us to review and assist you accordingly. Please share it with us at your convenience.

Regards,

Paventhan M

January 8th, 2020 08:00

I've just had the same issue with my 990, 234 flashing amber and solid amber power led. Was there any resolution other than replacing the motherboard?

Seem odd that a few of us have had the same issue at a similar time. Makes me think it was update related. I can't remember what version bios I was on. Haven't updated it for a few years. It's quite possible windows did an update overnight before mine broke but I have no way of knowing

I've tried resetting/clearing the cmos and just about everything else.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2020 11:00

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#2012_to_Present

S3MEM2, 72 blinks followed by a short pause, 7 blinks, long pause, then repeatsMemory failures
  • Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. Appropriate memory modules were detected but a memory failure has occurred.
  • If you can assist to troubleshoot, narrow down the issue with reseating memory and swapping a known good memory if available.
  • If nothing works, replace the memory.

Power Button LED State Description

OffOffPower is Off. LED is blank.
Blinking AmberBlinking AmberInitial State of LED at power up. Refer to the table below for Blinking Amber pattern diagnostic suggestions and possible failures.
Solid AmberSolid AmberThe second state of the LED at power up, indicates that the POWER_GOOD signal is active and it is probable that the power supply is fine.
Blinking WhiteBlinking WhiteSystem is in a low power state, either S1 or S3. This does not indicate a fault condition.
Solid WhiteSolid WhiteSystem is in S0 state. This is the normal power states of a functioning machine. The BIOS will turn the LED to this states to indicate it has started fetching op-codes.

January 9th, 2020 02:00

Thanks, I'm aware the lights point to a corrupt bios being the likely cause. Do you have any idea how this could be fixed? I have already tried a CMOS reset, both with the jumper and by removing the battery.

1 Message

February 29th, 2020 10:00

I too am having the same problem on my 990 full tower.  Computer turns on, PSU shows green light, system fan and cpu fan go full blast, no video, blinking 2/3/4 on the LED status lights.

This happened within the past few weeks, just like everyone else on this thread.  I think it's more than just a coincidence at this point.  Is it possible a Windows update did this?

It would be great to find a fix to this somehow.  Pointing out the error to us is great and all, but simply saying "corrupt bios" does nothing to help us.

478 Posts

February 29th, 2020 12:00

Indeed. One can read the meager dell documentation for themselves. No need for a parrot 

I can't really help you  (I'm not an expert dell musician),  but I doubt it's a windows update problem if you were unable to even boot into windows.  If you could, you would have indicated that.

If the bios is borked, there isn't a recovery option on older machines that I know of.

There could be an electrical fault on the motherboard. 

Unless a musician returns and plays a new guitar riff, I would replace the machine.

1 Message

January 21st, 2024 10:59

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Optiplex 760 after disassembling it and reassembling it. I tried to reinstall the BIOS from a flash drive, but I can’t manage to boot from it. And also I have a blank screen.

Thanks,

Csongor

1 Message

February 14th, 2024 14:09

change the processor it worked the error for bios and mother board

No Events found!