toml1948
2 Bronze

Dell OptiPlex - Solid amber light, lights 2,3,4 blinking

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have ALL external connections (except power and monitor), HD and memory disconnected. Power on comes up blank monitor screen, no beeps , amber power light, blinking 234. During power on, fan starts slowly and within 2 or so seconds on full blast and it stays that way. Power supply has green light. ram battery is good (3.3V). Looking for thoughts. Motherboard LED is on.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
toml1948
2 Bronze

Re: Dell OptiPlex - Solid amber light, lights 2,3,4 blinking

Jump to solution

My solution was to replace the motherboard. No idea how to reflash the bios if, indeed, that was the problem.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
donm4599x
3 Zinc

Jump to solution
Tom, you didn't mention what model or size of optiplex, so I don't know if this will help, but have a look at this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-990-Amber-Light-2-3-4/td-p/439506...
0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

A 2-3-4 LED error codes point to system BIOS corruption or a USB short circuit error.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
toml1948
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. It doesn't appear to be usb-related. Is there any way to fix a corrupt BIOS?

0 Kudos
LKsaswin
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

i have same issue facing 

0 Kudos
DELL-Cares

Jump to solution

Hi LKsaawin, was there any recent BIOS/ software updates on the system? Please private message us the service tag of the system so that we can check on the system warranty.

Regards,

Akshatha

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
TylerAlb
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Spoiler

Hello,
I have a Dell OptiPlex 990 as well with the same problem. Diag lights 2, 3 & 4 are flashing and the power light is solid amber. What are the chances 2 machines doing this in the same week? Mine just rebooted watching TV on it. And on reboot I had the error lights flashing. I have pulled all hardware that was installed one at a time and still the same results. If it's the BIOS, I installed A24 several months ago. Could it be a recent update from the Dell Support Assistant or Windows update? I am running Windows 10 PRO.

Thanks,

Tyler

DELL-Cares

Jump to solution

Hi TylerAlb,

We have contacted you on private message requesting to share the requested details, for us to review and assist you accordingly. Please share it with us at your convenience.

Regards,

Paventhan M

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
toml1948
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

My solution was to replace the motherboard. No idea how to reflash the bios if, indeed, that was the problem.

View solution in original post

Imaheadout
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've just had the same issue with my 990, 234 flashing amber and solid amber power led. Was there any resolution other than replacing the motherboard?

Seem odd that a few of us have had the same issue at a similar time. Makes me think it was update related. I can't remember what version bios I was on. Haven't updated it for a few years. It's quite possible windows did an update overnight before mine broke but I have no way of knowing

I've tried resetting/clearing the cmos and just about everything else.

0 Kudos