Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

62 Posts

July 8th, 2020 06:00

Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini Tower - Not posting

Hi there,

I am in the middle of refurbishing my OptiPlex 7010 Mini Tower, I’ve had to replace the original motherboard due to finding it damaged, i’ve bought another board and had to buy another processor as found this to be damaged too, now i’ve installed both the motherboard and processor, the PC turns on and the power button stays lit white but there is no activity on the screen.

What else can I check? All cables have been plugged in and the motherboard now has RAM, Processor and Hard Drive connected and all internal peripherals such as DVD drive, Media Card Reader are plugged in. I can hear and feel the fans working but like I said it doesn’t post on screen, it’s turned on but there is nothing on screen.

I have installed an Intel i5-3570 Socket 1155 processor into the machine. Is this maybe a problem?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 19th, 2020 12:00

Hi @GarethS10,

If it hasn't been done within the last 5 years, replace the size 2032 CMOS battery.  A low battery can cause all sorts of bizarre problems.  Energizer or Duracell is suggested as Sony only lasted me 2 years.

You know how you said everything is plugged in?  It's time to do just the opposite.  Unplug all peripherals on by one, starting with the GPU card if you have one, and see if anything changes.  If not, go internal.  One by one again, unplug DVD drive, card reader, and if still nothing changes, unplug HDD.  If you do end up going as far as unplugging HDD, when you turn on PC, you should get an onscreen Boot error message.

Before unplugging HDD, if it boots up after you unplugged something, then you know where the problem is.

50 Posts

July 19th, 2020 12:00

power button lid white is normal boot....

if protect mode it will turn in orange and flash....

you plug the monitor cable on board VGA port or on add-on GPU??

No Events found!