Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

April 21st, 2018 02:00

Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop -- adding an sdd alongside a hdd and optical drive

Hello, I have an Optiplex 7010 desktop, currently with a 3.5'' hard drive and a regular sized optical drive.

Now, the desktop has three SATA ports; one for the optical drive and the other for the HDD/SSDs. Now, the documentation say it can handle either one 3.5'' drive (i.e. a single desktop hard drive) or two 2.5'' drives (e.g. two SATA SSDs); see page 60 of the owner's manual and page 14 of the technical guidebook.

But can it hold one 3.5'' drive and one 2.5'' drive at the same time? I looked at the bottom of the current drive bracket and there does seem to be room for a 2.5'' drive there. But I could be mistaken and it is for something else and there is no room there. Looking at this forum doesn't seem to really resolve my question. Also, I'm mildly worried that it could tax the power supply, which I have read is considered weak at 250 W (I do not have anything in the expansion slots). Could heat from either drive adversely effect the other one over time? Should I be concerned in those regards? Thanks for answering.

1 Message

April 21st, 2018 05:00

I see no problem running both drives you mentioned.The 250 power supply will handle the small amount you are adding.

No Events found!