knowak68
1 Copper

Dell Optiplex 790 SFF dual NIC

Hello all. I'm trying to install a dual NIC into my 790 Optiplex SFF. I bought a 08WWC9 1Gb card and it fails POST (lights 1 and 2 on). I tried it with two different cards and both fail, so im pretty sure its not a bad card. I'm not sure if this card is even compatible, or if the problem lies with the machine. If its not compatible, can anyone recommend a dual 1Gb NIC that works?

8 Replies
Highlighted
savvy2
4 Beryllium

Re: Dell Optiplex 790 SFF dual NIC

fails BIOS P.O.S.T, 1,2,3,4,  (1 and 2 glow) got it.

means

A possible expansion card failure has occurred (in the black slot??????)

sorry got confused with Posting about P.O.S.Ts, 😐

is SEE now this is OpenBSD v 6.6?, not windows 10 nor Windows server OS.

NO WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY BLUE x16 slot  , no the black slot.

that card is not a card for any PC, it is a server card only,  in many cases, but some newer server card do support w10. but I think not this card.

Dell card 08WWC9 =   Dell 08WWC9 Intel I350 Dual Port 1Gb PCI-E Ethernet Card

it is x4 card too, and uses 1 x 82576 - Intel  processor.

once BIOS gets happy try this FreeBSD? driver at intel and cross fingers. some parts are common., they say.

that number is dells,  clearly dell like, for sure.

is this thing OLD,  I cant find it at EMC, dell sever site, why > , too old?

why use that card, and not simple generic cards cheap? and 2 ports, you don't need 2 ports I bet. (at home)?

ahhhhh OPENBSD is why ... and Dell BIOS P.O.S.T  fails too>?

why not join the OpenBSD forum and ask them for cards that it supports,first. (seem last link below)

or just Google OpenBSD , NIC cards.  (surf that)

this post is like the only OpenBSD here at dell,  never seen one ever on this side of the fence. EMC/DELL

Linux I know well but not BSD

but in linux the kernel must support this card,  what one does in linux, is read the Kernel spec, and there are vast versions of that. and in linux we even recompile Kernel to add drivers.

join OPENBSD and ask. for sure.

I guess you can use this OPENBSD page and then pic your version of OS and see the NIC card list.

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
Highlighted
knowak68
1 Copper

As I stated it failed POST. The fault code is lights 1 and 2 and with no screen warning. Thanks for confirming that this card is for servers only which is what I suspected. I'll be running OpenBSD on this machine and making it a firewall/vpn gateway. I agree, I need to make sure there are drivers available but first it needs to pass POST. Intel NICs are supported with OpenBSD and I thought this card being a Dell Card would work. Thanks again.

Highlighted
7 Thorium

You cannot use the X16 video slot for a PCI-E Network card.

You can use USB 2 nic to get a 2nd port.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-10-100-1000-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B003VSTDFG/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
knowak68
1 Copper

Thanks. I was planning on using the x4 PCIe slot not the x16. I dont want to use USB for my NIC, if thats my only option then I'll just use another machine. 

Highlighted
savvy2
4 Beryllium

the SFF has 2 slots,  does yours? did you look? sure you did, it failed.

The problem is drivers, too.

why not just buy  simple 1 port generic PCI-e NIC card, running w10 are you?????????????

comes with 129mm and 79mm bracket,

below is dell----0D28YY   , actual; dell part number, go this?

790.JPG

Highlighted
knowak68
1 Copper

According to OpenBSD, the em driver supports an Intel PRO/1000 card so thats what im going to try. I heard others have gotten this card to work. Intel says that it works on the x4 slot. No, I wont be  running Windows...It fails POST anyway...

Highlighted
savvy2
4 Beryllium

Re: Dell Optiplex 790 SFF dual NIC ethernet,

I have 790 MT and black slot, I will try my box of nics.

it works in the black socket and no BIOS POST errors.

it is a Dell card, for a Server removed by me, a  2 port Ethernet NIC, Qlogic Broadcom BCM5709, x4 ! lanes

That slot is x4 and so is my card, on yours and mine, both are 4 lanes max, less works too.

dell CN-0f169g-71617

w10 has a limp driver and it works strait  up but the device  manager shows no REAL w10 driver possible.

pnp update driver fails off MS w10 pnp servers, but still works. (amazing no?)

I can put my LSI-9211 raid there too and it works. black socket works.  MT.

if I use  generic card it works too.

dell only supports these OS on my test card above Qlogic.

Novell SuSE Linux ES 11
Windows Server 2008 x64
Windows Server 2012
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 6
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 7
SUSE Linux ES 12
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2008 x86
Windows Server 2008 R2

no BSD support nor any W10,  h3ll not even w7. on my card,  so is is like yours I bet.

Highlighted
knowak68
1 Copper

Success - The Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port PCIe EXPI9402PT passes POST. I'm sure the quad port version would work equally as well on this machine. Also the card works on BOTH the x4 and x16 slots. Its stated to work with OpenBSD em(4) driver so im not worried about that.