dobrus
2 Bronze

Re: Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF graphics card upgrade - questions

Jump to solution

I see, thanks. And the last question: HD7570 is also available in shop near me. It is 1GB DDR5 version. Is it better in gaming then HD8570 with 1GB DDR3? (in your link in upper post is 2GB version). Same price.

0 Kudos
redxps630
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Gdd5 is newer and better than gddr3.
detailed comparison of hd7570 gddr5 vs hd7570 gddr3.

hd8570 gddr5 vs hd8570 ddr3

finally hd7570 gddr5 vs hd8570 gddr5.

dobrus
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Ok, what I understood from that comparisons HD8570 is better one(?). Today I've installed it and drivers and planning to play GTA IV, when I go to V I'll change card to GT1030. What I see the fan sound is noticebly, not very loud or making any bad noises, but without card my pc was silent as the grave. At idle is fixed 30% with GPU temp. 31-32 st C. Is that normal?

0 Kudos
redxps630
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

These low profile OEM card have tiny fans which have to spin at relatively higher rpm to cool the card, even though the card TDP is only 50W.  Higher rpm entails louder fan.  Gpu temp looks good.

when you are about to order gt1030 (TDP 30W), if fan noise is a big concern, you might consider those 1030 design with passive heatsink without fan.  to help its cooling your case needs to have good air flow.  SFF case tends to have poor air flow compared to DT or MT. This may all be over worrying considering it is a low power card.

View solution in original post

dobrus
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, my PC stays on the table right next to monitor about 50cm from my head so I can hear everything Maybe card was laying for a long time cause after ~1 hour of work i feel it more queit. 1030 with passive cooling wont fit into SFF - the card is too high (36mm). Mine have 16mm and there is only ~10mm to psu. I can put PC down on the floor but dont wanna do this cause there like to be much dust etc.

0 Kudos
dkwjay
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I want to get a refurb of the very same Optiplex & have a packed Nvidia GT 640 card I once used with my old XPS 400 refurb; since it's an older, lower end gaming card, will it work for this particular model?

0 Kudos
bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Yes, a 9020 SFF can power a 65w GT 640.  Certain SFF models, including the 9020, have been on YouTube for years powering 75w cards.  My answers in regards have the backing of Dell moderation, one of which is a Dell Engineer.  This is also due to no negative feedback from actual users, just kudos and "Accepted Solutions."

However, with the GT 640 being older, I think you should compare graphics with the i7-4770, which has Intel® HD Graphics 4600.  It's not said what CPU you're getting in your 9020 SFF, so I went with the i7-4770.  See screengrabs below and decide for yourself which you like better.

Capture+_2021-02-22-20-04-06.png

Capture+_2021-02-22-20-05-17.png

Also, your GT 640 would have to be a LP (low profile) version with short bracket.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

dkwjay
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, & yes it would be a bare i7-4770 version I have my eye on, memory maxed at 16gb.

But I believe the GT 640m was in fact, made for low range laptops/notebooks & pc's, I don't recall the official term "Low Profile", existing as such when it came out in 2012.

There only looks to be one version made, & from what I researched so far, it actually brings up another issue in that it may not work well past Windows Directx11.1, & since I'm going to be using my own Windows 10 install (upgraded from my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit) mainly for hosting music sample libraries (not at all for gaming), this may be THE issue. This said, I would appreciate any newer Nvidia card recommendations that would work for this particular pc & won't break the bank.

0 Kudos
bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Optiplex 9020 Tech Guide  Max RAM is 32 GB.

I can't promise to not break the bank, but the best choice for the least amount of bottleneck is the 75w GTX 1050 ti LP.

Capture+_2021-02-22-22-11-52.png

If that does break the bank, start going down in model #'s, like down to the 30w GT 1030, also a good choice.

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

I had to use a separate post here because sometimes Chrome mobile gets in the habit of auto refreshing whenever I leave a page and come back, and then my typing is wiped out.

Optiplex 9020 SFF + GTX 1050 ti + YouTube List 

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube