surman2
1 Copper

Dell Optiplex 9020-Sound problem after Windows Update 1809

After Windows 10 update 1809 Optiplex 9020 started losing sound. Windows sound effects are working but you don't hear sound from any applications. Some times you need to restart Windows multiple times to get the sounds working again.

I have unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in sound device setttings but problem still exists.

This sound problem affects multiple Optiplex 9020 mini tower workstations.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Dell Optiplex 9020-Sound problem after Windows Update 18

Feature updates break audio drivers.

You have to uninstall the oem audio driver then reboot.

Then manually re install the OEM driver.

OR

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Download the cab file then extract using 7zip into the documents folder.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/how13361/optiplex-9020-windows-10-driver-pack?lang=en

DescriptionDownload
Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the driver for the Realtek ALC3xxx series High-Definition audio codec and is supported on Latitude/Precision/OptiPlex running Windows 10.More details

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Re: Dell Optiplex 9020-Sound problem after Windows Update 18

There were also issues with Windows 10 Update KB4482887, quote Microsoft:

"Machines that have multiple audio devices, applications that provide advanced options for internal or external audio output devices may stop working unexpectedly. This issue occurs for users that select an audio output device different from the “Default Audio Device”.

To resolve this issue, try uninstalling KB4482887, if you have it. They released KB4489899 to fix the mouse and performance issues caused by KB4482887, but KB4489899 didn't fix the sound problems.

If you have KB4482887, and want to uninstall it, be sure to manually set a System Restore point first, to be safe!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos