Highlighted
Spacekoekje77
1 Nickel

Dell Optiplex 9020 USFF Mini PCIe

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently bought a 9020 USFF second hand and was looking into adding a mini PCIe card or rather an mSATA SSD, however couldn't really find any specs for the mini PCIe slot except it's a 52 pins, I take it it's 1 lane/usb 2.0, so a Nvme will not work and will be limited to an sata 600 if there's a sata controller connected to it.

If anyone has some more information or used it with an mSATA or M.2 that would be great, also if it was bootable from that.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Re: Dell Optiplex 9020 USFF Mini PCIe

Jump to solution

Hi @Spacekoekje77 ,

It's a mPCIe connector only but not a mSATA connector. It won't work even if you add a mPCIe-to-mSATA adapter. mSATA drive only works on a slot that actually wired to SATA controller. The one in 9020 USFF is not SATA-wired. It's for cards like mPCIe WiFi only.

“May the Force be with Dell.”
4 Replies
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Hi @Spacekoekje77 ,

It's a mPCIe connector only but not a mSATA connector. It won't work even if you add a mPCIe-to-mSATA adapter. mSATA drive only works on a slot that actually wired to SATA controller. The one in 9020 USFF is not SATA-wired. It's for cards like mPCIe WiFi only.

“May the Force be with Dell.”
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

As an alternative, this video shows how to install a second HDD in the system. As bmcowboy has posted the idea you had would not work. But adding a second HDD or SSD would seem to be a lot less trouble and allows a larger capacity drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbSP4gzsoU

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
Dell Optiplex Ultra Small Form Factor, 9020, 9010, 7010, 990, 790, 780 How to install second dual Solid State Drive or Hard Drive.
0 Kudos
Spacekoekje77
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi @bmcowboy,

Thanks for the information, I suspected as much but couldn't find a definitive information.

In any case thanks a lot for the confirmation, thank you @JOcean for other solutions.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Glad we could help out!

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up