Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2020 07:00

Graphic troubles with an Optiplex 780 SFF

Hello everybody,
Hoping to be in the right place for the subject and that someone can help me, 
I describe my concern. I have a Dell Optiplex 780 SFF. With a Intel core2 duo 8400 at 3GHz, 8gb ram, original hdd 7200Rpm, the rest is original. I put a graphics card on the PCIx16 port; an Nvidia GT710 2Gb DDR5.
Windows 7 x64. The card is recognized no worries. But however when i watch videos (youtube) or movies (VLC) in HD 720 / 1080P, it appears "jerks" as "lines" on fast scenes or not, it varies ...
I try to connect the PC on a other screen and that the same trouble... On GPUZ the port indicated is PCI 8x, same on the Nvidia control panel, max 8x. While on the Optiplex brochure the port is in 16x ... Anyone have an idea?

20200501_222412.jpg

Some people talk about I/O for Sata3 which will take "PCI lines" I don't really understand ...
Maybe i need to enable/disable something in the BIOS?

I am lost...

Thank you in advance for your readings and maybe your answers, i'm available for more information if I forgot something.
Jean.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 29th, 2020 12:00

Windows 7 is not recommended anymore as it's EOL.  You'd be surprised how similar Win10 is to Win7.  Plus Win10 has many added features.

However, if you still want Win7:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Windows+7+pro&_trksid=p2332490.m4084.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XWindows+7+pro.TRS0 

If I remember right, you're in Switzerland?  So you might to go to ebay.com and key in "Windows 7 pro" in the search bar.

39 Posts

July 29th, 2020 23:00

hi @bradthetechnut ,

Yes you truth, im from Switzerland.

Yeah i use W10 on my main PC, it work fine and i like it because it look like W7.

Dont talk about W8

So if i understand, with your answer i can put any version of windows on this dell?

I know W7 is end of life, but i have a Key for the W7 Pro, thats why i dont wanna buy an another Windows and this OP780 work "only" like a media center... i'm a bit affraid for the drivers with W10...

I try to put the W10 on it and back there for tell you if its working or not.

See you!

39 Posts

July 30th, 2020 01:00

Everything is ok with the Windows10 pro x64

im happy with the speed boot with the SSD and also the usage, its a Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB.

Now just wait the new graphic card, she's at Erlanger in Kentucky state, pleeeease come quicly

See you

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 30th, 2020 11:00

I'm glad you got it working with Win10 and that you're happy with it.  Things on Dell's website, like Dell Support Assist, no longer works with Win7, as reported to me by other users.  Dell Support Assist scans your PC for any needed drivers and so on.  Plus, if you ran Win7, you'd have to make sure you have your own security software.

The 780 won't take just any version of Windows that I know of.  I'm pretty sure it won't take WinXP.  But I doubt you'd ever want to go that far back.

My previous 755 wouldn't take XP.  At the time, I wanted it on there as secondary.  I do have Win7 32-bit on a backup 790 DT to run some older software.  That PC is rarely needed online.

Sounds like you're having fun with your PC!   I hope it keeps up!

39 Posts

August 20th, 2020 00:00

Sorry for the pics i cant rotate it, in windows it appear correctly and also on the upload manager in the forum...

But you can see the SFF OP is percfectly fit for my TV stand

Finnally i just need to find how to disabled the HDD fan because i dont use it and i got an message after the boot, for my wife and the confort of a perfect boot

And later maybe put 16GB of ram but i read on the OP780 tech guidebook max is 8gb and i buy the original ram (2x 2gb of kingston) few month ago on Ebay.

The only one things this make me sad is the Core2 quad cpu with my graphic card and this famous bottleneck, maybe in the future i can find an other SFF Optiplex with I5 or I7

thanks again everybody, for your help and take care

39 Posts

August 20th, 2020 00:00

Hi everybody hope everything doing well in this sad times

I would like to thanks you for your help with my trouble

I receive the EVGA GT1030 SC with active fan (im a bit scary with fanless card ) and its work perfectly

Very powerfull and stable.

Now this OP780 is a nice media center, with the ssd and 8gb ram, the Asus Xonar DG sound card and also the graphic card.

For put the graphic card i just cut a small "clip" (a small plastic part) on the cpu box fan, this "clip" maintain the Hdd case that i dont use because i put the ssd on a other case.

I show you some pictures sorry for the poor quality (old phone)...

20200820_085956.jpg

20200820_090159.jpg

20200820_090245.jpg

b.jpg

b2.jpg

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 20th, 2020 12:00

Your pics are fine.  Sometimes photos will auto rotate on me when uploading.  When it happened to another user, then another user suggested saving photo in MS Paint before uploading.

That HDD fan is also your case fan.  If you're getting a fan error on startup, fan may need replacing.  Can't be disabled in BIOS.

Also, removing the CMOS battery for about 10 min. resets BIOS and clears the error log.  Might be an idea to try first and see if you still get fan error message.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 20th, 2020 12:00

As for the RAM, one can try "780 16GB ram" in the Dell Community search bar and see what other users have done.  Looks like it's feasible.

Regular Kingston RAM is ok, but KVR (Kingston Value RAM) rarely works in Dell's.  Also remember not to mix brands (besides size and speed).  Older Dell's can be quite finicky about that.

39 Posts

August 20th, 2020 22:00

Yes the fan cant be disable on Bios...

I look to find a way for change it because is very loud, but i dont understand about the wire,

have some adapter for the 5pin using by dell to a 4pin for standart fans but cant buy it on Amazon its end of stock and im not sure about the correct adapter.

i dont know what i can do, only replace the original fan under my ssd...

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 21st, 2020 13:00

Well, you haven't ran me out of ideas, yet.  And believe you me, I know how loud those fans can get.  They're capable of super high RPM, something like 4,000 or better.

The fan could be misreporting back to the MB.  But I think it's more likely a heat sensor.  Now that I know nothing about replacing, if it's replaceable.  Might be a YouTube video on it.  So I don't know that a replacement OEM fan would be the cure, but can still be tried.  I take it the inside of your PC and vents are clean?  Does it still get good airflow in the cubby hole that it sits in?

Not endorsed by Dell, but sometimes people use HWiNFO64 or SpeedFan.  It seems to be a horse a piece on who likes which one better.  But you might be able to gain control of the case fan.  Naturally, slowing down the CPU fan is not recommended.

No Events found!