Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Posts

February 5th, 2020 11:00

HELP! I enabled TPM but can't disable it

Noob here. Dell 9020M Core i7 12/2015.

Today I successfully migrated to GUID from MBR. While in the BIOS fw settings, I enabled TPM > Apply. No there seems to be no turning back. Have I totally hosed my system? Is there a way to undo this? The system seems to be working fine, I left TPM (*)deactivated. But I see I am way out of my element here.

Thanks for any help,

— 7

• 

25.1K Posts

February 6th, 2020 05:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

272 Posts

February 6th, 2020 07:00

You need to keep the password that you used to enable the TPM handy in order to disable it.

A Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is a specialized chip on an endpoint device that stores RSA encryption keys specific to the host system for hardware authentication. 

Each TPM chip contains an RSA key pair called the Endorsement Key (EK). The pair is maintained inside the chip and cannot be accessed by software. The Storage Root Key (SRK) is created when a user or administrator takes ownership of the system. This key pair is generated by the TPM based on the Endorsement Key and an owner-specified password.

I hope this helps!

3 Posts

February 6th, 2020 14:00

That is one thing I did not mess up ... I never "activated" TPM. What I did was to ENable TPM in the BIOS. After that the screen of options for the TPM showed up, including activate and deactivate.

I left it deactivated and am trying to turn back the clock, as it were, disabling TPM in the BIOS so it can not be accidentally activated or whatever. (I tinker)

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 09:00

wiki TPM

read, you will be surprised , I promise

2.5K Posts

February 7th, 2020 09:00

seems this TPM is not classic.,'

the whole purpose of TPM is to stop hacks.

"Computer programs can use a TPM to authenticate hardware devices, since each TPM chip has a unique and secret RSA key burned in as it is produced. Pushing the security down to the hardware level provides more protection than a software-only solution.[9]"

USed by DOD and CIA,, etc..

best is not tinker with TPM. for fun, or risk bricking the PC. (if married to UEFI , the PC locks down) TPM can also be married to BITLOCKER, and worse that. tinkering.

NO turning back,  , seems reload the OS is only TURN BACK.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2020 14:00

9020M has intel PTT for TPM not classic Fritz chip TPM

Clean install secure boot OFF F12 is required from OEM DVD

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

No Events found!