Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

1 Message

June 22nd, 2019 08:00

How i can boot with low resolution

Hello i have problem with my Optiplex 9020 Bios A07 , i have black screen because i boot with high resolution and i cant do anything in windows how i can boot the pc with low resolution enable ,or if anyone know another solution for me and thanks 🤠! 

2.5K Posts

or spurge, go to walfart online.

buy the $40 refrub monitor there, and forget relics , old monitors 2010 and back all have burned out CCLF lamps

so only buy and own 2011 and  newer monitors or 2010 super wide screens are mostly first LED made !! shop

with care.

2.5K Posts

NO OS stated\

NO monitor stated.

Did you buy the PC like this dead, or just happened after long years of service,(this helps helpers)

How i can boot with low resolution?

Hello i have problem with my Optiplex 9020 Bios A07 ,

i have black screen (when) in BIOS screens too?

because i boot with high resolution and i cant do anything in windows (my wild guess is monitor is 15year old relic?) no monitor told.

how i can boot the pc with low resolution enable ,or if anyone know another solution for me and thanks

sure this is easy but not with the OS unstated, is this windows, yes/no, is it windows 10 (y/n)

if monitor is relic, and not w10 use safe mode F8 and set resolution to 800x600 , now windows works

then go to monitors makers name.com and read the monitors manual and set the resolution above to the max allowed by any relic monitor.

in w10 that is more hard. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

with screens dead there is only 2 ways to fix that, the above way safemode

or get  real monitor for you PC, connect it boot and OMG it works then in windows

right click screen display settings low the resolution to your unstated monitors max. 800x600 or what it is.

then pull the barrowed monitor off this PC and put back the failing monitor see it now works.

easy pie with a good modern monitor.

101 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 12:00

I offer this assuming that you have "Windows" because you mentioned one?  If you don't  this won't apply to you...

As you boot, as SOON as you see your display come alive at "Dell" or flash by BIOS, start pressing F8-F8-F8-F8 ++ about two times per second.  HOPEFULLY you will soon see a Windows screen with "boot options"?

Select "SAFE MODE" or

"SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK",

but don't select SAFE MODE WITH C prompt or DOS.

SAFE MODE should take you to 'No Frills' / Low Resolution Windows... Windows won't look pretty because just a few mandatory drivers are loaded...  From there you should be able to set your Video/Display options to your desire.  REBOOT.

Your F8 Boot option passes by VERY quickly so you must focus on that display... If your System boots without showing BOOT OPTIONS you were not fast enough.  Reboot and try again.

IF you continue to have video problems reinstall your Video Drivers.

Anthony

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 23rd, 2019 05:00

Windows 10 DOES NOT HAVE F8 safe mode unless you edit the BCD.

Edit:  spelling error corrected.

Black screen problem however is corruption and or bad drive issue that requires Reinstall on new clean drive.

A very specific disk works fine on all models

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350237

A very specific USB 2.0 drive works on all models

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

860 evo works fine in many models from 2006 to 2019

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-860-evo-500gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive/6178650.p?skuId=6178650

AUTOREPAIR does not and will not work.

Enable F8 Key Safe Mode in Windows 10

1. Right click on Windows 10 Start button.
  2. Next, click on Command Prompt (Admin).
  3. You may be asked to enter Admin Password, enter the password to get access to...
  4. On the Command Prompt window, type BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY and hit enter key.
  5. Next, type Exit and hit enter .

101 Posts

June 23rd, 2019 12:00

speedstep,

Right on and I thank you with a KUDO! 

I had no idea WINDOWS 10  hid the "Safe Mode"  (F8) feature and I thank you too for the instructions to enable it!  "F8" can be extremely helpful at times and I can't fathom why Microsoft would disable or bury it?  Thankfully, my Win 10 is quite stable and I haven't needed the Safe Mode because that mode often saves one from hunting for a 'emergency boot disk' or require buying special diagnostics software...  

I also don't understand why Microsoft crippled Windows 10 with constant "Administrator Permission" "Pop Ups"?  These nags annoy more than they ever help.  These useless "Pop Ups" halt all users productivity and pace as PopUps MUST be closed before a user can do more!  Globally Internet users DETEST "Pop Ups" on Sites so why are "Pop Ups" OK when dealing with our files and folders? 

OK, two Pop Ups to confirm deletions and maybe some edits... but these notifications should be optional too. 

I hope a creative programmer will make a add-on "Features Menu" that can (password protected):

* ALLOW ME to be FULL"System Administrator with TOTAL CONTROL" (not a title-only 'Administrator)'.

* Fully HALT (or enable) "Permission" nags.

*  ALLOWS the F8 Boot Option.  Toggle on or off.

* and much more!

... with more features that truly enhance our Win 10 experience! 

One small but "handy" Program called "Winaero Tweaker", is very good at fine-tuning and adding 40 nice optional features to Win 10 from one main menu!  I hope others will take a few moments to see a Winaero at work in this YOUTUBE Demo:

WinAero Tweaker

I will contact 'Winaero' to ask to add the three options mentioned above.

... speedstep, I thank you again! 

Anthony 

101 Posts

June 23rd, 2019 20:00

Yo Mr. speedstep?   RE:  RESTORE "F8"

Forgive me, but I think your command line:  BCEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

is missing a  'd'  in BCEDIT?  

This command line does work from Administrator Command Prompt:

Bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

After inserting the  'd'  I finally got this:

c:\Windows\System32>Bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
The operation completed successfully.

Prior to adding the 'd' I kept getting these errors no matter what I tried.. Even a fresh copy of bcdedit.exe didn't help!

The specified command line is not valid.

and

'bcedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

A sincere "thank you" speedstep for all you do!

Anthony

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 24th, 2019 04:00

Yep Spelling counts and I fat fingered that one.

BCDEdit can be used for a variety of purposes, including creating new stores, modifying existing stores, adding boot menu options, and so on.

You'll need administrative privileges to use BCDEdit to modify BCD. Start the Command Prompt (Admin) or use Windows PE.

Most will be at 1809 but some will be updated to 1903

To start working with WinPE, download and install both the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK)

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2026036

and the WinPE Add-ons.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2022233

During installation, select Deployment Tools.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options

No Events found!