Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

161 Posts

March 19th, 2022 07:00

How to fill RAM Slots Optiplex 9010 SFF

Hey guys, I cannot find official documentation on how to fill my ram slots on my Optiplex 9010SFF.  My Chips match and I think they are the original chips that came with it, hynx brand.  

Right now I have One 8GB Chip in the White Slot closet to the cpu.

And have Two 4GB Chips in the Black Slots

From what I've seen on youtube the White Slots should be filled first?

Any help would be appreciated!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2022 11:00

@User1190 

put 4 gig modules in white slots and the single module in the black slot closest to cpu

mixing size and vendor and speed and rank is not supported so it may not work with the single 8 gig module unless its stand alone with no other modules.

161 Posts

March 19th, 2022 13:00

Your a huge asset to this forum speedstep!  Thank you very much, at least now I know for sure that White and Black are separate Channels.  And, that the One 8GB Chip may not work when the two 4GB Chips are in.   

Are there any good details on this board anywhere?

What color is channel A?  I assume the Black as that is the one closest to the cpu, and usually the one you put the larger chip in right?

I'm not able to spend any money on this now but do have another 8GB Stick.  The Timing is a little different, but could that be matched up with the current 8GB Chip but in the other Channel as Dual Channel?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2022 22:00

@User1190 

Docs are here

9010_SFF owners manual

The slots are not 1 2 3 4 visually it's 3 1 4 2  First ram slot in the board for first channel is white ears thats 2 away from the CPU.  So bank 0 is  2 and 4 white ears then bank 1 is 3 and 1 black ears.  you must have a pair in bank 0 then the odd man out in bank 1. aka slot 3.

See picture below

Slot 1 and 2 should be white ears and hold the 4 gig ram modules.

Slot 3 should hold the single 8 gig module.

Slot 3 is the ram slot CLOSEST to the CPU Black ears.

This is not supported but might work.

White Ears Bank 0 Black ears BANK1White Ears Bank 0 Black ears BANK1

161 Posts

March 20th, 2022 01:00

Thanks again!  I will test all this tomorrow

161 Posts

March 20th, 2022 14:00

I'm not able to spend any money on this now but do have another 8GB Stick. The Timing is a little different, but could that be matched up with the current 8GB Chip but in the other Channel as Dual Channel?  One 8GB Chip in Slot 1 and another 8GB but slightly different timing in Slot 3 as Dual Channel.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 20th, 2022 17:00

If speeds are mixed, all the RAM will be ran at the speed of the slowest chip.  If voltages are mixed, it won't work.

If you try the configuration you mentioned, at worst you'll get an error code in place of the PC booting.

Some Dell's are finicky if just the brand is mixed.  But due to others' experience in this forum, I think the generation your 9010 is in isn't quite as finicky about that.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 20th, 2022 18:00

Optiplex 9010 Tech Guide 

NOTE: Memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. The entire memory range is available to 64-bit operating systems.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 20th, 2022 18:00

@User1190 

Mixing Speed, Rank, Density, vendor, etc is NOT supported by Dell or INTEL.

That doesn't mean it wont work but it does mean that if you have problems that's on you.

The following configurations are not validated, supported, or recommended:

Mixing of RDIMMs and UDIMMs
Mixing memory density, type, size, speed, & rank
Mixing memory vendors

No Events found!