Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2019 10:00

Increase of RAM

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex 9010 MT i7-3770 with 8Gb of RAM (2x4gb) and I would like to increase the RAM memory.

I'm thinking about 2x8Gb instead of 2x4Gb. Not 2x4Gb plus because maybe in the future I complete to 32Gb.

The currently RAM is:

IMG_26092018_001642_1.jpg

Which 8Gb RAM is suitable for my computer?

Something like this is ok?

s-l1600.jpg

What other trademarks are good?

Thanks in advance

Regards

478 Posts

July 28th, 2019 14:00

Togomi, I believe that info is under the heading "MARKETING SYSTEM CONFIGURATIONS". So, to me, it means simply that the system was not sold with 2X8 GB. I could be wrong, but I suspect it will work, even if you still use the smaller modules and go for 24 GB total. Be sure to observe the channels ... the locking tabs are different colors for the two pairs of slots, so put the new modules in the same color slots.

17 Posts

July 28th, 2019 14:00

Ok. 

Thanks for that observation. 

I hadn't noticed it. It's true, I could see it in page number 11.

So, I'll try it. 

Thank you for all your time. 

Regards

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 26th, 2019 14:00

Crucial is a good place to get ram for your Dell. 

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-9010-%28mini-tower%29

You could use both the 4gb and the 8gb now for 24 gb since you have 4 slots. Down the line you can remove the 4gb and get 8 gb replacements. The ram will run at the speed of the slower chips so that might be a factor to consider.

17 Posts

July 26th, 2019 15:00

Thanks. 

I'll consider Crucial. 

I have a problem. I'm checking guideline and 2x8Gb is not accepted. It's really extrange. 

And 24Gb (2x8Gb+2x4Gb) isn't and option. 

I don't know what to do. 

I'd prefer 2x8 and remove 2x4. 

Maybe in a close future, adding another 2x8. But only 2x8 is impossible and really extrange. 

Do I considerer the guideline seriously? 

Regards

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 26th, 2019 17:00

I'm going to present the info I was presented.

According to the Tech Guide, "NOTE: Memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. The entire memory range is available to 64-bit operating systems."

However, the Owner's Manual states, "Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must have identical configurations. • Memory modules must be installed beginning with the first socket."

Thanks Dell.

The Owner's Manual copyright is 2015 and may be newer than the tech guide.

The speed of the RAM chips should still match, as should the brand you choose.  That isn't just Dell, but other PC's as well.  One of our Rockstars, besides having a Dell, has a home built Asus and it's the same way.

Up to you if you want to try different sized RAM.  If it doesn't work, you still have options.

The max capacity of the individual DIMM slots is 8GB.  2x8GB chips is definitely doable.

Crucial RAM is guaranteed to work in Dell's and has a lifetime warranty.  If you want to spend a little less on a somewhat older machine, I use A-Tech RAM.  It also has a lifetime warranty.

Optiplex 9010 Tech Guide

Optiplex 9010 MT Owner's Manual

I take it you have the Owner's Manual, but I wanted to post the link for other readers that may not have it or so they know where I'm coming from.

17 Posts

July 26th, 2019 23:00

Thanks for all that information.

But I'm still worried about the fact that 2x8 Gb is not accepted. 

It can be consulted in page 13 of the tech guide, the same you've linked. There is a table and 2x8 is in gray colour. 

Could you check what I tell you? 

Thanks and regards

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 27th, 2019 17:00

I did check what you said.  I checked for the max capacity of the DIMM slots.  However, you're right, I checked again and the 2x8GB configuration is grayed out.

17 Posts

July 28th, 2019 02:00

So, 2x8 is not possible, isn't it?

If it's true, I don't know what to do. Only 4x8, but I wouldn't like to spend so much.

Another possibility?

Regards

478 Posts

July 28th, 2019 15:00

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. If it works and you still don't want the old memory, you can probably sell them on ebay. I'm looking for some myself, but haven't seen any within my meager budget yet.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

July 28th, 2019 17:00

Remember to not go for the cheapest RAM.  Kinston Value Ram (KVR) rarely works in Dell's.  As mentioned, A-Tech is lower priced than Crucial and has a lifetime warranty.  A-Tech is available on eBay and I'm sure other sites as well.

17 Posts

August 14th, 2019 03:00

Finally I've ordered Crucial memory by Ebay and everything is ok.

It was really cheap.

I paid 42,67€ for both 2x8Gb.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Crucial-8GB-PC3L-12800U-DDR3L-1600MHz-1-35V-DIMM-Desktop-Memory-RAM-Intel-ES/303168425277?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In 15 days arrived to Spain.

Now I've put 2x8 in slots 0 and 2 and 2x4 in 1 and 3.

PC has recognized the 24 Gb RAM memory.

Should I do some checking to know if they are working well?

Regards

478 Posts

August 14th, 2019 12:00

Yes. I reccomend memtest 86, or memtest86+ (both are free). You use them to create a bootable usb with the program so it can run without windows occupying lots of the memory. I would run at least one pass. It will take some time to run, probably a couple hours or more. Be sure to download the version which creates a usb, and choose whether you use legacy or uefi bios.

In a pinch, you can use the built in windows memory test, but it has some bugs that still haven't been fixed after many years. When the system reboots and the test starts, change the settings to enable cache, instead of default. Else, it will hang before it completes.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 14th, 2019 15:00

Or would you have error codes 3 & 4 and a blue power light.  Either way, your PC wouldn't be able to boot.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 14th, 2019 15:00

If there were an error with your memory, you would get an error code - power button light would be orange and numbers 3 & 4 would light up.  You would not be able to boot.

478 Posts

August 15th, 2019 12:00

"If there were an error with your memory, you would get an error code - power button light would be orange and numbers 3 & 4 would light up. You would not be able to boot."

Usually, but now I test all new memory anyway. Doesn't cost anything except the time it takes to rum. I once had a mysterious problem with OS crashes occasionally. It took me a LONG time to figure this frustrating problem out.

It turned out to be a very subtle memory problem. It only occurred sometimes, and the memory ALWAYS passed the rather perfunctory Power on self tests that most bios does.

Oh yeah ... the bad memory was cheap bargain stuff, but it wasn't Kingston

No Events found!