Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 02-20-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

Is the dell Optiplex 9020 compatible with an NVMe ssd

I am thinking about buying a NVMe SSD since i saw a good deal. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Optiplex 9020 is compatible with the ssd.

Here is the link to the SSD --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/SN570-250GB-High-Performance-3300MB-speed-dp-B09HKGGPLR/dp/B09HKGGPLR/ref=d... 

Replies (29)
6 Gallium

9020 oem motherboard does not have native M.2 slot for the ssd.

TB2wqcSurBnpuFjSZFGXXX51pXa_!!112729988.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

you may use a PCIe adapter for the M.2 ssd.

User report:  Dell OptiPlex 9020 does not support bootable NVMe drives in its BIOS configuration (version A24)

OptiPlex 9020 benchmarked an M.2 NVMe SSD at 1600 MB/sec

redxps630_0-1637950443904.jpeg

Will this work in a SFF 9020?

3 Argentum

Hey redxps630 - Wow - you are answering a question I posted here just 30 minutes ago,

I want to do maybe the same thing in an Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower that I bought around 2014.  It has no M.2 slots.

A few questions -

1. If I buy that converter, which PCI slot would I plug it into?  I have four PCI slots in my 7010:
    PCI Express x16 slot (wired as x4)
    PCI slot
    PCIe x1 slot
    PCI Express x16 slot
    -----  Which would I use if I do this? -----
    (The manual is available at https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010... )

2. If I do this, would I get full NVME speeds, or does this physical conversion slow things down?

3. You wrote above that an NVMe SSD plugged into a PCIe slot will not boot a 9020.  Do I have the same problem with my 7010?  My BIOS is fully updated to version A29 (Date 6/28/2018).

4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

you can install the ssd in PCIe adapter in the x16 slot (wired x4) to maximize bandwidth.

you cannot boot from m.2 ssd via PCIe adapter in 7010 either.  the 7010 is older than 9020.  Dell bios does not support M.2 boot in these old models.

nvme ssd physical interface does not reduce speed, be it native m.2 slot or PCIe adapter.  it is how many lanes the interface is connected to that determines bandwidth/speed.  max lanes you can connect using current technology is x 4.

"a M2 slot on a motherboard actually runs on the Pci-e lanes anyway of the motherboard.
Using a M2 card on a pci-e expansion card to a free Pci-e slot gives you exactly the same data bandwidth as the M2 slot on a motherboard equipped with one"

"What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive? The X4 is the number of PCI-E lanes used by the M.2 card. Older M.2 cards might only use 2 lanes."

3 Argentum

redxps630 - thank you for very fast and clear answers.  I'm bummed about the no-booting - wanted to get this as a Xmas present to myself.

1. So - in your opinion, if I buy a SATA SSD (not NVMe) for my 7010 and copy (clone) over everything from my existing HDD, will I see a noticeable increase in speeds, especially booting?  Or not so much, given this old workhorse of a PC?  (For example, my RAM is DDR3.)
  2. What newer Dell Optiplex Mini-Tower models have M.2 slots and can take full advantage of NVMe speeds?  What is the oldest such newer model that I might buy used? 

Thanks.

Re: if I buy a SATA SSD (not NVMe) for my 7010 and copy (clone) over everything from my existing HDD, will I see a noticeable increase in speeds, especially booting

OS boot will be significantly faster from sata ssd compared to hdd.  internet browser speed or gaming speed would not change as those are more dependent on cpu, ram, gpu.

Re: What newer Dell Optiplex Mini-Tower models have M.2 slots and can take full advantage of NVMe speeds?  What is the oldest such newer model that I might buy used?

Optiplex 7080/7090 are the newest models that support bootable M.2 ssd with native M.2 slot on motherboard.  7090 is supposed to support gen 4 PCIe nvme ssd (although some user reports only gen 3 in practice), 7080 supports gen 3.

Optiplex 7060 also supports bootable M.2 ssd.

For windows 11 support the 7060 is the oldest that is eligible.  It has Intel 8th gen cpu.

the older 7050 is not eligible for Windows 11 (although you can still install 11 but no MS update support).

7050 supports bootable M.2 ssd. "boots from the M.2 SSD if I disable the SATA port for the internal HDD via BIOS page."

Finally, the oldest optiplex that supports bootable M.2 ssd is 7040 which uses Q170 chipset.

For each class of optiplex, the 7000 series is in general main stream optiplex with 4 DIMM slots, and the 9000 series high end.  the 3000 series is usually cheaper entry level model with only two DIMM slots for memory.erPoint Presentation (levnapc.cz)

7010 uses old Q77 chipset which has old PCIe gen 2 only.  so a PCIe gen 3 nvme ssd is automatically downgraded to slower gen 2 speed in 7010.

Bear in mind that Dell does not officially release detailed information on how many PCIe lanes are connected to M.2 slot on optiplex motherboard.  we rely on Dell moderator or user report.

5040/7040 The single on board M.2 slot supports up to 4X.

3050/5050/7050 appears to support x4 M.2.  "The single on board M.2 slot supports up to 4X" per Dell Justin C.

For the best performance the newest 7080/7090 will definitely support x4 M.2.

3 Argentum

redxps630 -

Do you happen to know the oldest 3000 series model that
(a) boots from an NVMe but is NOT compatible for Win 11 and
(b) boots from an NVMe but IS compatible for Win 11.

I might look for one of those for my wife's mini-office for new employee - lots of accounting and logistics with some graphics but not so much video.

Thanks for super info !!!!!!

(1) the oldest 3000 series model that boots from an NVMe but is NOT compatible for Win 11

3050 MT

(2) the oldest 3000 series model that boots from an NVMe but IS compatible for Win 11.

3060 MT

The 3040 MT motherboard is cheap entry level and trimmed down that does not include M.2 on board.  5040 (main stream) and 7040 (high end tier) do have M.2 on board.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions