Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 02-20-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

Is the dell Optiplex 9020 compatible with an NVMe ssd

I am thinking about buying a NVMe SSD since i saw a good deal. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Optiplex 9020 is compatible with the ssd.

Here is the link to the SSD --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/SN570-250GB-High-Performance-3300MB-speed-dp-B09HKGGPLR/dp/B09HKGGPLR/ref=d... 

Replies (29)
3 Argentum

red - you are the greatest !!!!!  Thanks so much for great info.   I hit the kudos button on all your posts here. 

yw.   glad to be helpful.

3 Argentum

redxos630 and others - Many thanks again for your detailed responses so far.

One of my ideas was NOT to buy new Optiplexes but to somehow get our two existing Optiplexes to boot from a newly installed NVME M.2 SSD (to which I would clone our existing hard drives).  But there is an issue with that - our older Optiplexes won't boot from a NVME M.2 SSD installed via an adapter into a PCIe slot.

I might at some point “give up” and get a SATA SSD, but I’m still thinking about the higher speeds supposedly available in an M.2 NVMe SSD, and there are indeed adaptors that would permit me to connect an M.2 NVMe SSD via my PCIe slots (using the x4 slot, which is recommended elsewhere).

The big issue is that my existing 7010 (and I also have an existing 3010 for my wife’s mini-office) simply won't boot from that configuration because (as explained in other forums) their older motherboards and their UEFIs/BIOSes simply don’t provide for that.

Now, there is apparently a workaround in this situation – use a boot loader called Clover that itself will make the PC boot from the M.2 NVMe in the PCIe slot. But the authoritative forum about Clover is not at all clear to me. See my post there at

https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootload... 

and then go to its page 1 to see the basic (?) instructions.

Clover itself is a github project, and you can find the latest version at 

https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases/tag/5142 

but, again, github does not explain what to do with these files or how to use them to create a Clover bootloader USB stick, and so I still don’t know what to do.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.

@glnz , I posted detailed instruction a few times but they got deleted.  To create the Clover drive, you can use USB or SD card with at least 200 mb.  Down load BDU and run it to create a bootable drive.  Open the drive in file explorer and copy EFI driver to 2 more locations (the path as instruction you read from win-raid).  Keep the Clover always plug in when booting, click on the first icon with MS EFI (you only need to do this one time), it will boot windows from your NVME from now on.  

I have zero experience w clover but it seems like an interesting idea. I am re posting OP question here so someone w experience may help. 

Hello everyone

please help me resolve my problem

my mb is msi ph67a-c43 (b3)

I succeed to boot from my nvme disk (on pcie x1 adapter) using clover

but here is a problem

when I use uefi clover booting type in boot options (set 1st in boot list order)
1st boot works perfectly, also clover automatically finds nvme and boots to it

but after 1st restart
pc restarts few times
resets boot list to defaults
than boots to csm clover (legacy mod bios)

and than I should manually select in csm clover my nvme to boot windows

for me there will be no difference use uefi or csm clover to boot to my nvme disk

the problem is that csm clover doesn't automatically boot (I need to choose every time which disk to boot)

please help me to resolve this problem “

Note:  To keep this post in compliance with forum TOS, I won't post detail to bypass Dell system but simply CLOVER basic information for discussion.  Source from others with more detail instruction for those interested. 

Basically, this is how it works:  BIOS/UEFI->Clover-EFI->NvmExpressDxe-driver->bootpartition@NVMe-drive->OS

As a bootable device, CLOVER contains NVMe driver and acts as a boot option ROM of the NVME drive.  It can be installed on a USB, an SD card (selected machine can boot from SD), or a small partition on you data drive (SSD, HDD).

After you create CLOVER, you will need to copy \EFI\CLOVER\drivers-Off\drivers64\NvmExpressDxe-64.efi to:

\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64\ (to boot from legacy BIOS)
\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ (to boot from UEFI)

Another step is edit  \EFI\CLOVER\config.plist with your favorite Editor.  Change the value:

<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>

Change 5 to something smaller like 1 or 2, this will make your system boot a little faster (3 or 4 seconds).

On first boot, the CLOVER screen will provide you multiple devices to select, select your NVMe drive and it will remember from there on.

Back to the question from @redxps630 , it seems like the CLOVER drive was not prepared properly.  In either CSM or UEFI, once you point to the NVME drive, it will create a folder in CLOVER with system info and remember to boot that drive subsequently without user intervention.

The process is easy, it takes like 5 minutes of your times and the cost is almost nothing (you may have an old and outdated USB tucked somewhere).  But it will allow you to use NVME drive which is 4 times faster than your SATA drive.  It's so simple that it works on every machines I worked on.  It just plug and forget, sometimes users can't remember that it was there.  Some older NVME drives have ability to boot without CLOVER, I have a list somewhere but feeling lazy to look for it because those drives are old, hard to find and work slower to boot, not worth it.

I hope these information helps someone.

NvmExpressDxe-64.efi locations for recent CLOVER are
 \EFI\CLOVER\drivers64\UEFI\ and \EFI\CLOVER\drivers64\BIOS\

3 Argentum

redxps630 and Chino - thanks for your posts.  But I'm still stuck at the beginning - How do I download the correct Clover files and then install them on a USB stick?  (And note that apparently a Russian guy's installer at cvad something is no longer reachable.)

If Dell doesn't permit you to post that here, please go to my post at win-raid (link above) and post it there.

Here's the link again:  https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootload... 

Thanks!

@glnz , It's a boot disk utility, you just run it and watch the magic happens. 

3 Argentum

Chino -

EDIT - I had difficulty with your link but finally managed to download BDU_v2.1.2020.028b.zip - thanks!!

Its instructions are not entirely clear.  If I run the exe, what happens?  Will it give me the opportunity to install Clover onto a USB stick?

Also - I am not going to use this or Clover to boot a Mac.  I intend to use Clover to make a Dell Optiplex 3010 or 7010 boot from a NVMe M.2 SSD that is inserted into an adapter which in turn is plugged into a PCIe (x4) slot.

In such case, what should be my choices when I run BDutility.exe?

BUT MAKING PROGRESS !!  Thanks.

sorry, but run what?  What should I download from where, and how do I run it? 

I have the impression I need to install Clover onto a USB stick and then tell my PC to boot first from that USB stick.  But what do I download from where, and then how do I install what on my USB stick?

Sorry for my missing something basic.  Thanks for your patience. 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions