Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2018 15:00

Loud fan on Optiplex GX620

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell OptiPlex GX620. I haven't figured out which fan it is but occasionally one of the fans starts up and sounds like a jet taking off. it runs like this for about 10 seconds and then it goes quite again. It's not a constant thing. Just every so often it starts getting loud and eventually sounds like a jet taking off. Thanks for any suggestions.

December 18th, 2018 17:00

The only thing I could really think it would be is the CPU fan. Based on the information you have given me, it would be the closest. Before you try to replace anything, I would try to update your BIOS, and clean the inside with something like compressed air. If those don't solve it, then I would try to replace the CPU fan. They can be found on sites like Ebay for 15 bucks a pop. Try getting one of those if the above doesn't solve your issue. I would also try to remove the graphics card and run it on the integrated graphics to see if the graphics card's fan (If the graphics card has one at all) was the issue, because I am not 100% sure that it was the CPU fan. Before you remove the graphics card, check if it has a fan. If it doesn't, then it is not the issue and it would seem likely that your CPU fan would need to be replaced. That's the only solution I can offer at this point, I hope it helps.

14 Posts

December 18th, 2018 16:00

It's a mini-tower. It does have a graphic card. It does seem like it coming from around where USB connectors and where the VGA input for the monitor is

December 18th, 2018 16:00

What form factor of the GX620 do you have? It could be the power supply fan or CPU fan. Do you have a graphics card in the system? That could also be the culprit. Also, are you able to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from or where it is the loudest?

14 Posts

Now that I looked closer at the back of the desktop, I don't think it has a graphic card.

14 Posts

The integrated VGA input on the back of the desktop.

14 Posts

Thank you.

That narrows it down to the GPU or CPU fan. When you say the VGA connector, do you mean the one on your graphics card (If at all)? Or the integrated one on the back of the PC? Also, can you tell if the GPU has a fan at all? Or is it passively cooled?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 19th, 2018 07:00

The fan is under a shroud and the thermal sensor is on the USB ports board in the front.  If it doesn't have bad capacitors then the cpu may need to have the thermal paste re done.

620T.jpg

No Events found!