1 Copper

My DVD drive ate a disk

Jump to solution

I have a brand new Optliplex 5070 with vertical DVD drive.  I am trying to install new software and inserted a disk.  Nothing happened and finally I opened the drive door and the disk was gone.  I tried repeatedly opening and closing the drive but the disk never appeared.  I disconnected the PC and held it upside down, etc. and the disk never showed up.  Peering into the tiny slot I cannot see the disk.  I inserted another disk but the PC does not recognize the drive at all. the drive does not show up on Explorer.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: My DVD drive ate a disk

Jump to solution

I was able to remove the disk.  I got out my jeweler’s tools and carefully removed the drive tray from the rails it slides out on.  Then I was able to peer inside and I could see the hole in the center of the disk.  I hooked it with a slender tool and pulled it out.  After putting everything back together, I was able to successfully use the drive and disk to install the software.  Lesson learned is to be very sure the disk has securely snapped in place before closing the drive.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

With a new system, best to call Dell support.  And when posting here specify which version you have such as Micro, Small Form Factor, etc.  

If you want to dig into it, the service manual details how to remove/install an optical drive.  Since its the vertical model (basically a laptop style optical drive) the lost disc is probably inside the case.

Here is the link to the Dell 5070 support, select the Service Manual for your specific version.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-5070-desktop/docs  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

Highlighted
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Just curious ... Was this one of those tiny CDs that are often supplied to install drivers and such?

I'm thinking those probably don't work with vertical drives, unless you lay the computer on it's side.

Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

never put in 2 disks, omg. fail you will even wreck the heads easy.. never do...

there are 3 disks sizes, which is it.?

4-3/4" std disk

3 inch micro disk

or same 3" but is business card CD,  square cut.

the drive has special retainer in the try that only works with FULL SIZED disks

nobody
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have never seen this particular issue, but without knowing what kind of a disc it is, it is harder to troubleshoot. And ... what did you find by opening the case? Chances are good that it fell down inside of it.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Standard size DVD.  Corel software installation disk. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was able to remove the disk.  I got out my jeweler’s tools and carefully removed the drive tray from the rails it slides out on.  Then I was able to peer inside and I could see the hole in the center of the disk.  I hooked it with a slender tool and pulled it out.  After putting everything back together, I was able to successfully use the drive and disk to install the software.  Lesson learned is to be very sure the disk has securely snapped in place before closing the drive.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Those smaller optical drives are very hard to reach especially if the device is on its side. I have the same issue, though have never had the disk fall in.