Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 03-27-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New Optiplex 7080, zero screws for M.2 drives!

I wonder if it is standard practice to not provide these 5-cent screws and give the customers the finger if they didn't buy their M.2 drives from dell's overpriced options. I got a Samsung M.2 drive and it doesn't come with a screw. I had to use one of mine but the drive requires a very large head to hold on to the drive. I had to use a washer. It's not good. Why would Dell not provide these things?

This reminds me of HP Elitedesk computers. If you buy a new one, it comes with spare puffy screws to secure 3.5" drives. If you buy a used one... I guess the sellers routinely raid these screws and sell them at $10 a set on ebay. Is Dell to be compared with ebay used computer pedllers?

Replies (6)
10 Diamond

Thank you for sharing! The micro tower service manual doesn't show any thermal pad or spacer. Just 2 steps, put in the M.2 PCIe, then screw it down.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New member, hi everyone... I had a similar situation happen to me earlier this month when my 7080 arrived. I opened it up to make sure everything looked good inside, noticed no screws as you did buttoned it back up and as I was repacking it, heard a lose screw, opened it back up and floating around inside, around all that lose copper just waiting to short was one of the M.2 screws... glad I found it while it was powered down.. was NOT impressed for my first Dell purchase.

Can any of you please confirm that the 7080 SFF takes the 201 wifi 6 card, not the 200, getting ready to order one.

Thanks

Jennifer

Great links, thanks... but I wonder why the 7080 SFF is missing from this particular one..

Jen

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000178253/m-2-nvme-device-specifications-and-upgrade-requir...

@Jennifer007 , it will take the 201.

Thank you Chino...

Jen

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor