Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 11th, 2018 18:00

OptiPlex 7050, Windows 10, after login, black screen with mouse cursor

Hi All,

Hoping someone here has run into the same issue. I have installed 3 OptiPlex 7050's this week and have run into the same issue on all of them.

The local account created when first setting up the machine works well and has no issues. We use this accout to do the initial setup of the machine and install software etc before taking the machine onsite. The machines are fully updated (Dell Command) and all Windows Updates are applied. I then take them onsite and I have created a new local user account on each machine for the user to use (they are on a workgroup so local account required). All goes well and I can install software, printers etc and the users can work as per normal.

The issue we have seen happens the next day regardless of whether the machine goes to sleep or is shut down. I have tried all the fixes on google that mention the black screen with a mouse cursor after login on Windows 10 but none of them resolved the issue.

What did resolve the issue was  a post on the HP forums and a reddit post that mentioned the App Readiness service and delayed logins. Those posts stated the desktop eventually will show up after 5 - 10 minutes. This has not been the case for me, the desktop never shows up. Disbaling the App Readiness service then rebooting works to show the desktop and next login but there is a side effect of this, none of the built in windows 10 apps work, eg calculator etc do not launch and all and the store does not open either.

Has anyone else had the issue with the black screen after login and have you found a solution rather than a workaround to solve the problem. The lack of built in apps is a problem.

Hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2018 08:00

My company is also having this issue with 60+ new workstation that we just deployed. It seems to be that almost every workstation is having the issue and they are all Dell Optiplex 3050 that came with the Windows 10 1709 Image from Dell. We have worked with Microsoft and they have stated that this is an issue with the Dell OEM image. If anyone knows of a permanent fix for this issue other then disabling the "App Readiness" service (I do not consider this a permanent or acceptable fix) that would be great. Otherwise, I would love to know if Dell is working on a fix or has addressed the issue. I find it ridiculous that so many people are having this issue and Dell has not done anything to address it. If there is a Dell rep monitoring this discussion please chime in as I am very frustrated with Dell about this issue and I am sure everyone else is too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 11:00

@mjh_smileitwrote:

This issue is getting to be a real problem!!! No official word from Dell and no fixes.

I went ahead and reported this problem and thread through my channels.

1 Message

April 18th, 2018 23:00

Hi,

We too are seeing this problem on all recently purchased Optiplex 7050's.

I contacted Dell and got the following reply. No explanation as to what they are actually doing to fix the problem. I expect more from Dell than this.

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Support. From the email I understand that you are currently having a blackscreen issue upon receiving the system .

There's no workaround for the issue but to reinstall the Windows.

This issue occurs commonly among our new systems.

We're so sorry for the troubles caused.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi all, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. After some investigation from our engineer teams it would appear the issue is being caused by conflicting installs of Microsoft Office. Can you try the following as a workaround and let me know if it resolves the issue for you:-

1. Disable the App Readiness Service (wsappx)
In the run box type msconfig. Go to the services tab and disable App Readiness (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap the disable button)
2. Restart the machine
3. Open an elevated powershell
In the taskbar type powershell. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt
4. Type the following command -Run Get-AppxPackage *office* | Remove-AppxPackage
5. Renable the App Readiness Service as per step 1
6. Restart the machine

Once this is completed, the Office hub will be “blank” (the tiles in start menu)  and they can be unpinned from the Start Menu.

Alan

2 Posts

April 20th, 2018 12:00

Hi,

We too are seeing this problem on all recently purchased Optiplex 7050's and laptop XPS 13-9365!!!!

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 13:00

I will be testing the fix posted by the Dell engineer on some of the workstations that we have that are having the issue. My only issue is though is that this fix only removes the apps for a specific user and does not remove the app and the package for everyone.

April 20th, 2018 16:00

@Dell-Alan Dwrote:

Hi all, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. After some investigation from our engineer teams it would appear the issue is being caused by conflicting installs of Microsoft Office. Can you try the following as a workaround and let me know if it resolves the issue for you:-

In the run box type msconfig. Go to the services tab and disable App Readiness (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap the disable button)
2. Restart the machine
In the taskbar type powershell. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt
4. Type the following command -Run Get-AppxPackage *office* | Remove-AppxPackage
6. Restart the machine

Once this is completed, the Office hub will be “blank” (the tiles in start menu)  and they can be unpinned from the Start Menu.

Alan

Alan,

We found this suggestion previously and tried it with no luck. Just tried it again on an affected machine. It seems that the issue itself is related to the AppX Deployment Service being messed up. When we run the Powershell command, it just hangs on "Deployment operation progress: Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.8830........" and under that line it says "Initialized". But it stays like that forever and never does anything.

It looks like other users are reporting this same issue in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Windows-10-s-Microsoft-Store-broken-for-domain-user-accounts/td-p/6057804

1 Message

April 20th, 2018 22:00

Same issues here. 2 of 5 of these systems are experiencing slow 1st time profile creation and black screen post login issues. Any official word? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2018 23:00

@Bdog4lifewrote:

Same issues here. 2 of 5 of these systems are experiencing slow 1st time profile creation and black screen post login issues. Any official word? 

Well, first ... I would read this thread for tips. Try the tips already posted.

However, according to reports in this thread ... the only verified fix I've heard of is to completely erase the machine and reload fresh with Windows-10 ISO from microsoft.com. All these machines should have boot-SSDs anyway, so it takes less than 30 minutes. This sheds all Dell customizations.  It's my understanding that many large IT-shops do this anyway.

The only potential problem I see with this fix is you might lose any stand-alone Microsoft-Office-2016 licenses purchased with the machines. So, if you bought one, just go ahead and redeem/register/activate it real quick (with a Microsoft-Account as you must) while using a Windows "Local Account". Then, you can erase it all. Again, not much of an issue for larger IT-shops because they don't get their Office-2016/Office-365 licenses this way.

I think due to the way larger IT-shops deploy machines ... the problems are avoided. It seems this problem mostly affects smaller companies. And even then, only those with on-premise Windows Servers ... trying to use Dell's shipped software image (yes, as they should be able to).

Anyway, now that you know, it's easy to fix and prevent in the future (even if Dell never gets around to it).

1 Message

April 23rd, 2018 08:00

I just ran into this issue this morning on an Optiplex 3050. We had a user at a client site where we installed about 50 Optiplex 3050's in early February report this problem over the weekend. This system was joined to a domain and the user was setup as a local administrator on the system.

When I connected remotely and used a domain admin account to login to the system I experienced the problem as well. The Window 10 UI would appear after waiting several minutes. The only work around I found was to disable the App Readiness service as others have suggested in this thread. That does prevent Windows store apps from running so it's not a good long term work around for those who use Windows 10 store apps like the calculator.

I don't know how many other systems are affected because users may just be waiting for the UI to appear. If this issue is associated with users who have local admin access to the system we might not hear about it at all because only a few users at the client site have local admin privileges on their machines.

I tried using Dell Command Update and flashing the BIOS prior to finding this thread and that didn't make a difference. These systems are covered by Pro Support so I called them, opened up a ticket and provided a link to this thread so they know we aren't the only ones who have run into this and that it can happen on 3050's as well. They didn't have a record of this being a known issue. Their suggested work around was to try a System Restore before reloading the operating system. After providing a link to this thread and letting them know we could provide somebody with access to the system in question the support rep responded that he would pass this on to their internal technician team. We'll see if they do anything further with it.

We're going to see if we can implement a login script via Group Policy that kills and restarts the App Readiness service to see if that will work as a temporary solution until this gets resolved. Has anybody else tried something like this? No sense in reinventing the wheel if there's already a script out there that can act as a work around without permanently disabling the App Readiness service on affected systems.

April 23rd, 2018 12:00

@Troy868wrote:

I tried using Dell Command Update and flashing the BIOS prior to finding this thread and that didn't make a difference. These systems are covered by Pro Support so I called them, opened up a ticket and provided a link to this thread so they know we aren't the only ones who have run into this and that it can happen on 3050's as well. They didn't have a record of this being a known issue. Their suggested work around was to try a System Restore before reloading the operating system. After providing a link to this thread and letting them know we could provide somebody with access to the system in question the support rep responded that he would pass this on to their internal technician team. We'll see if they do anything further with it.

I also reported this to Dell ProSupport and was told it wasn't a known issue. I wonder how many people have to report it before it becomes a known issue...seems pretty known on the Community site! 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Alex Rompwrote:

1. I had attempted the powershell suggestion above.  It seemed to work for about a day, but ultimately we ended up just disabling the service for now until I can get back out to that site and reload the computers.

2. I'd prefer a better fix from Dell than reloading the system,

3. but at least these are fairly fresh so it won't take too much.

1. That's too bad, but thanks for the report.

Yeah, (in my opinion) it's just not worth the aggravation and wasted time ... not to mention customer's perception of brand-new computers failing.

2. Sure, but when?

3. Exactly. With SSD, it takes what? 20 minutes. And you end-up with a nice fresh Windows-10 Pro 64bit install to build-up the system on.

Anyway, these workstations are suppose to be "expendable crew-members" ... right? :Smile: Even more-so with on-site server or heavy cloud dependencies.

I had attempted the powershell suggestion above.  It seemed to work for about a day, but ultimately we ended up just disabling the service for now until I can get back out to that site and reload the computers.

I'd prefer a better fix from Dell than reloading the system, but at least these are fairly fresh so it won't take too much.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2018 06:00

@Alex Rompwrote:

I had attempted the powershell suggestion above.  It seemed to work for about a day, but ultimately we ended up just disabling the service for now until I can get back out to that site and reload the computers.

I'd prefer a better fix from Dell than reloading the system, but at least these are fairly fresh so it won't take too much.

Hi Alex,

What exactly happened after a day, can you provide more detail on this please? 

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 24th, 2018 06:00

@rrosati-totalsolutions.comwrote:

@Dell-Alan Dwrote:

Hi all, 

2. Restart the machine
6. Restart the machine

Alan

Alan,

We found this suggestion previously and tried it with no luck. Just tried it again on an affected machine. It seems that the issue itself is related to the AppX Deployment Service being messed up. When we run the Powershell command, it just hangs on "Deployment operation progress: Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.8830........" and under that line it says "Initialized". But it stays like that forever and never does anything.

It looks like other users are reporting this same issue in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Windows-10-s-Microsoft-Store-broken-for-domain-user-accounts/td-p/6057804

That sounds like there could be an issue with your group policy account. Try the steps as outlined here and then rerun the steps I listed above.

Alan

No Events found!