Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

February 10th, 2019 15:00

Optional Video card

I just purchased a refurbished Dell - Optiplex Desktop Computer PC - Intel Core 2 Duo - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Windows 10. To give to my grandson. It said it was good for gaming. He was real excited to get it until he told me he could not play the game Forte night.  I guess it stopped and started.  I was wondering what graphics card I could put in there to get it running better for him.  One that would not put me into the poor house.

I don't know much about video cards but thought maybe one with a little more memory would work ???

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

205 Posts

February 10th, 2019 16:00

I don't know how to say this, but you seem to have been rooked - calling a Core 2 Duo-based system "good for gaming" would require a time machine back to 2006.

That is a very old and very slow CPU, and it's not even officially supported on Win 10.

You could add in a new video card, but it would be sort of "throwing good money after bad", as it's not going to improve things all that much (due to the slow CPU, memory and chipset subsystem) and it will cost you some cash.

1) Can you get a refund on the system?

2) If not, let us know your budget for a graphics upgrade and people can offer some compatible cards that (hopefully) won't break the bank.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2019 05:00

205 Posts

February 11th, 2019 11:00

Is that a live link because I can't get it to resolve and even a GeForce GT 1030 search doesn't bring anything up.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2019 11:00

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2019 11:00

Definitely Live Link

• Manufacturer part VCGGT10302PB
  • Dell part A9763687

Main thing to watch out for is that you want the GDDR5 card.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR/

DDR4 versions of the card are horrible.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/pny-geforce-gt-1030-graphics-card-2-gb-gddr5-low-profile/apd/a9763687/graphic-video-cards

573 Posts

February 14th, 2019 22:00

Hi @miles1000 ,

A typical story of a lovely grandpa who want to please his grandson and buy him a PC even though grandpa don't quite familiar with computer stuffs. I was touched, dude. Really!

I'm not drop by to provide any answers or solutions as what replyers above already done, and they've got much better technical knowledge than me for sure! All I wanna do is to give you a support and let you know whenever you've got question on computers, DO feel free to come back in this forum for asking help, specially when you plan to do any further upgrades or hardware purchase. Members here are very helpful indeed. I've learnt a lot in here as well.

Wish you get what you need on your new PC as well as your grandson enjoy the game! ^^

205 Posts

February 15th, 2019 19:00

@bmcowboy wrote:

Hi @miles1000 ,

A typical story of a lovely grandpa who want to please his grandson and buy him a PC even though grandpa don't quite familiar with computer stuffs. I was touched, dude. Really!

Same here, and I felt like asking for his address and packing a video card up for him, but I'm not sure it would do any good, or even be supported by the system under Win 10. 

When you have a system this old, the best bet is to just make use of it as-is, have some fun, and save up for a newer one. And hope that the snake-oil salesman that told him a Core 2 Duo is "good for gaming" gets some serious karmic return on that comment.

No Events found!