Highlighted
jerryyyyy
2 Bronze

Optiple 3070 Trouble Selecting Boot

I have a unit with a M.2 SSD and have cloned the disk to a Samsung EVO 850 as a backup.  If I put the 850 into the second disk drive SATA connector it will boot, but it no longer sees the M.2 partition.  Pull out the 850 and it boots from the M2..

Anyone have any ideas how to see the M.2 and boot from it but keep the 850 there as a convenient backup? 

Dell support has no ideas.

Have latest updates etc.  UEFI boot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Optiple 3070 Trouble Selecting Boot

@jerryyyyy wrote:

1. I have a unit with a M.2 SSD and have cloned the disk to a Samsung EVO 850 as a backup. 

If I put the 850 into the second disk drive SATA connector it will boot, but it no longer sees the M.2 partition.  Pull out the 850 and it boots from the M2..

2. Anyone have any ideas how to see the M.2 and boot from it but keep the 850 there as a convenient backup? 

1. This behavior is normal and "by design". Cloning is only for setup and repairs. It is not for daily backups.

2. You "Image whole machine to a file" (with Verify option ON) . A program like Macrium Reflect allows you to setup a schedule and do Differential, Incremental or Full Backups.

You can store these backups files on a SSD if you want to (but that is not a requirement) . Also, not sure why you want the backups inside the computer (in a fire or theft they would be destroyed as well). 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
jerryyyyy
2 Bronze

Thanks, the problem is not the backups, which I can do many ways, the problem is that I would like both the primary and secondary (backup) disks visible.  The BIOS/UEFI does not show both disks if the second disk is mounted. 

I could show a screenshot, but the EVO disk is listed twice and the M.2 not at all in the boot options. 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Bios is not a boot manager.

The bcd must be changed so that when it starts it knows which drive is the one to boot from.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@jerryyyyy wrote:

the problem is that I would like both the primary and secondary (backup) disks visible. 

If the other disk it a true clone of the boot-disk ... it is not a Secondary disk. Sounds like you are trying to have TWO PRIMARY DISKS, which is not allowed on a UEFI system, AFAIK.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
savvy2
4 Beryllium

tesla nails this

you cloned the disk wrong, better software (migration) handles this correctly

you can not have 2 disks with same UUID< on them that is having 2 identical UUID disks same on one PC..

so don't do that. with an identical UUID/GUID, on both,  (illegal)

Good clones like yours it sits on a shelf not in SATA2 port. (backup purpose)

Good clone software at the get go asks you to do advance mode and have the target set to a new UUID.

that is what you did not do.

and there is worse if Using UEFI, modes (full blown)

not only that but the good software tells at the end, you must remove the source disk a power down and leave it out.( if not UUID changed)

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos