HYVERT
1 Nickel

Optiplex 3011 AIO CPU upgrade

Jump to solution
Bonjour (Hello in French) Could someone please tell me what is the most powerfull CPU I can put in the Dell Optiplex 3011 AIO ??? Mine is a i3-3240@3.40GHz CPU model I know that there are some i5-3470S@2.9GHz models The motherbord seems to be a LGA1155 pin cpu socket : 0C1GJ7 Intel Motherboard 48.3KD03.011 model THanks for your help !
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Da_Vinman
2 Iron

Re: Optiplex 3011 AIO CPU upgrade

Jump to solution

I did some looking and so far, the fastest I've seen is the i5-3470S, which is about 50% faster than what you have. 

Of course the big difference is going to be the 4 physical cores, which will increase overall speed and multitasking a lot more than just the pure performance jump. The only issue is if there are two different cooling solutions for dual-core vs. quad-core - the newer the systems, the more likely they are equivalent, but 3-series is right on that edge.

You might want to check that out, comparing heatsink-fans from the two different configs (use teardowns, reviews, images, Dell parts, etc.) just to make sure they are the same.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

My best advice is to NOT try it. 

Keep your working computer the way it is. If you want some extra speed, try installing a SSD (for bootable Windows and all Apps).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Da_Vinman
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I can definitely agree with that, as CPU upgrades easily offer the lowest return on investment of any upgrade - I took a Latitude from a dual-core i5 to a quad-core i7, with benchmark performance more than 2X as high, and I barely notice it.

Those AIOs are also a lot of steps and effort to upgrade and it's very easy to break a clip or forget a connection, and other than adding in memory, you really have to take a large portion of the system apart.

SSD -> Memory -> CPU would be the order of upgrades I would undertake with an AIO.

0 Kudos
HYVERT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Before all "merci beaucoup" (thank you very much in French) !!!!!

So, I understand that the best to do (to avoid a waste of time), is to put a SSD instead the HDD, and probably 4GB RAM more (total of 8GB of RAM : I have actually "only" 4GB).

My aim is to format and install a clean Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 64bits.

Even for this (Windows 10), the 4 cores CPU (instead the twin cores CPU) is not so efficient ????

Once again, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
HYVERT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
Bonjour (Hello in french) I follow the advices that Tesla1856 and Da_Vinman gave me some weeks ago ! Merci beaucoup à tous les deux ! (I thank you very much you both) Sorry for my very bad english I changed the 500GB HDD for a 1TB SSD I put an additional 4GB RAM memory on the free port (total 8GB instead of only 4GB) A cleaned all the sand (it was totally jamed) that was in the fan and heatsink I bought the licence and installed a Windows10 Pro 64bits (licence very cheap on amazon germany) Now, I have got a very quiet PC, and I am impressed by the result ! Everything is going much more faster than before ! I am not affraid to write that I am the owner of a brand new PC !!! Once again, thanks for your help !
0 Kudos