Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Rookie

• 

71 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 06:00

Optiplex 3020 - possible problems with W10 clean install (previously Win7)?

Hi you helpful experts - Please could you  tell me if a clean install of Win10 will put all the correct drivers in place? In case it doesn't, I have backups of all the Win7 drivers - would these be OK to install?

Will Win10 accept the Win7 product key & activate?

Thanks & kind regards, Niloc1017

Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower, Intel quad core i5-4460S 2.9 GHz. 64GB SSD, W7 Home SP1, 500GB 3.5 HDD for all non-system stuff, optical drive, 8GB ram.

176 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 06:00

clean install of Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower should install the necessary drivers, but it is possible that some drivers may need to be installed manually. You can check Dell's website for Windows 10 drivers specifically for your model, or you can use the built-in device manager in Windows 10 to identify and install missing drivers.

Regarding your Windows 7 product key, it is possible that it will work to activate Windows 10 after a clean install, but this is not guaranteed. Microsoft has implemented a new activation method for Windows 10 that does not rely on the traditional product key, so it is possible that your key may not be accepted. However, if you are eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, you can use the Windows 10 media creation tool to download and install the upgrade, and your activation should be successful. If you are not eligible for the free upgrade, you will need to purchase a valid Windows 10 license to activate the operating system.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 2nd, 2023 07:00

It should activate with the Windows 7 key though no guarantees at this point. However I have a Latitude E6420 and installed Windows 10 without a problem. As for drivers, the 3020 support page has all the drivers you need for Windows 10 as it is a Dell supported product for Windows 10. As for the key one more suggestion. YouTube is a good source of information on how to activate should you have a problem.

1 Rookie

• 

71 Posts

February 4th, 2023 05:00

Hi JOcean - many thanks for your thoughts on drivers & product key. I still have to sort out drivers, which are only the basic Win10/MS type. The Win7 product key was used automatically! Kindest regards, Niloc1017

1 Rookie

• 

71 Posts

February 4th, 2023 05:00

Hi ewongsmx - many thanks for your thoughts on drivers & product key. I still have to sort out drivers, which are only the basic Win10/MS type. The Win7 product key was used automatically! Kindest regards, Niloc1017

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

February 5th, 2023 18:00

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

February 5th, 2023 18:00

Experiences may vary with drivers.  For example, I never had to manually download any drivers with Win10.  Win10 also searches for correct drivers.  Those with GPU cards may still have to load drivers.  Of course, there's still loading mfr. supplied drivers like for printer & etc.

With Win10 already having many drivers, sometimes, there can be conflict if loading or downloading mfr. driver.  When first starting with Win10, I loaded BT driver I used with Win7.  It didn't work.  So I deleted it.  BT driver in Win10 works great with my headphones.

No Events found!