RoxxiaDK
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 3060, SAMSUNG 970 EVO, PCIe 2.0 x 4

I spent all of 3 minutes to find the support documents for the 3060 Optiplex. I don't even own a Dell...

Anyways, the H370 chipset supports 20 lanes and you need to count up how many lanes all of your IO hardware are using. 

Problem solved. (Probably)

0 Kudos
RoxxiaDK
1 Copper

Further clarification...

The H370 supports 20 I/O lanes and your CPU supports  16 PCI-E lanes.

So depending what slots you're using for the hardware you have I stalled... Bandwidth could suffer quite a bit.

I suggest posting a full list of hardware and what slots you have them connected to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Da_Vinman
2 Iron

Just in case you missed the answer straight from Dell Engineering:

As I posted in another thread, it's a hardware limitation of both the Optiplex 3060 and 5060 - they used "scaled down" versions of the Intel chipsets that limit their ability to hit the specifications of the NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 bus. Essentially they have a fully-featured H370/Q370 chipset for the CPU/Memory bus, but a "scaled down" PCI 2.0 design for the system bus.

So that means CPU and memory benchmarks will be consistent with other PCs, but overall NVMe performance is shaved in half.

It's "market segmentation" at it's worst, whereby if you want that kind of performance, you need to get a 7060 - the only problem is that Dell told us all that NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 is supported on the 3060, right in the specifications. Too bad that was an "error".

0 Kudos
Da_Vinman
2 Iron

@RoxxiaDK wrote:

I spent all of 3 minutes to find the support documents for the 3060 Optiplex. I don't even own a Dell...

Anyways, the H370 chipset supports 20 lanes and you need to count up how many lanes all of your IO hardware are using. 

Problem solved. (Probably)

LOL, that's 3 minutes of your life you wasted, as Dell Engineering has already told us why this is happening, and I have reposted it in several threads.

Basically, the 3060 does NOT include a full H370, but a "stripped-down" version that only utilizes PCI 2.0 on the system bus. So we do get x4 lanes, but only on PCIe 2.0. Dell is going to adjust the online and PDF specifications to fit this new reality.

It's the same story with the 5060, which features a stripped-down Q370 with PCI 2.0, and the 7060 is apparently the only Optiplex from this generation to get a full chipset implementation and NVMe speeds of PCIe 3 x4.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

0 Kudos