Highlighted
2 Bronze

Optiplex 5040 SFF M.2 NVMe screws missing?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have Optiplex 5040 SFF desktop. I am trying to install Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe.M.2  SSD on the desktop.

I am a bit confused with the screw/pin which holds the M.2 card that appears to be missing or not provided the motherboard.

I have attached a screenshot of the SSD slot below please find the same. 

Can you please suggest a way or suitable screw to hold the SSD card on 5040? Thanks for your help.

5040 m2 slot empty5040 m2 slot empty5040_m2_card_inserted.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Optiplex 5040 SFF M.2 NVMe screws missing?

Jump to solution

https://www.amazon.com/mounting-Screws-Laptop-Nvme-Screw/dp/B085FS82BN

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

https://www.amazon.com/mounting-Screws-Laptop-Nvme-Screw/dp/B085FS82BN

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Hi Speedstep,

Great thank you. I will try the screws you have suggested. I may have to find/order similar ones on amazon uk. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Speedstep gave you the correct answer.

I needed the M.2 screw, and got it from Amazon.  Here's my experience:

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/OptiPlex-5040-Upgrade-HDD-to-NVMe-M-2-SSD/m-p/77174...

Yesterday, I installed a Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe.M.2 SSD on a 5040 SFF.  The screws work.  I did not use the washer.  Not much room, and I don't think it needed it.  I didn't use a thermal pad or heat sink on the SSD.  I used Acronis to restore to this SSD.  Everything just worked perfect.  Transfer times are fast for large files.  Monitored SSD temps, etc, with HWiNFO.  Perfect.  No issues at all.

After shutting down the computer, and restarting, the fans sound like a jet engine.  If I wait a couple of minutes, then the fans do not rev up.  (Sometimes my external drive won't disconnect, so I need to shut down, and then I like to restart quickly.)  So something is heating up, but I don't know the cause.  Limited time, and I have to return it.  I've ordered a Samsung 860 Evo SSD to use instead because I know there will be no fan/heat issues.

I already have a Samsung 850 Pro SSD in another identical system.  There is a big difference in transfer speeds of files with the 970 m.2.  However, for my normal computer use of browsing the internet and business applications, I could not tell any difference.  Even power-on times were almost identical, about 15 seconds.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck than me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi usa123,

Your reply/experince on ssd install is very usefull. I will install 970evo plus first and see if i get same issues... fingers crossed.  Thank you.

0 Kudos