This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2018 02:00

Optiplex 7010 - DIMM 1 & 3 problem

Hello,

I have these two ram sticks:

https://www.ncix.com/detail/adata-ad3u1333c4g9-b-4gb-ddr3-u-40-104953.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC3-12800-1600MHz-Unbuffered-HMT351U6CFR8C-PB/dp/B00A8M768E

They both work perfectly fine in dimms 2 & 4 at SINGLE channel mode. They refuse to work in dimms 1 & 3, upon boot amber power led flashes code 2 and 3 (Bad Motherboard, Memory or Processor). I need to know if they are dead or not before I make the expense of buying "certified" ram for those slots. The two sticks of ram don't even work together in 1 & 3, but they do in 2 & 4. Any help would greatly be appreciated. 

The PC is a Mini Tower running an i5 3570. Thank you.

Edit: Also tried putting both sticks in black/black, white/white, and black/white slots. Same error.

8 Posts

February 24th, 2018 05:00

Fixed it. Did two things:

Re-seated the CPU,
Cleaned and applied new thermal compound.

I don't know which fixed it but my slots are working now. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 11th, 2018 11:00

This might help-- Memory Module Guidelines-- To ensure optimal performance of your computer, observe the following general guidelines when configuring your system memory: • Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must have identical configurations. • Memory modules must be installed beginning with the first socket. From the Dell Manual for your model here-- 

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_owner%27s%20manual4_en-us.pdf 

8 Posts

February 11th, 2018 15:00

Hello, thank you for the response. I couldn't find anything there that could help me, unfortunately.
My question is-- wouldn't a functional ram stick work in those DIMMs? At least one? The machine refuses to boot with any of my sticks, including the hynix, which was guaranteed compatibility..

8 Posts

February 12th, 2018 06:00

I guess I'll buy another hynix stick to see if it'll work alone with the other hynix. Can anyone tell me if it might solve the issue? Perhaps @speedstep

?

April 9th, 2019 12:00

Hey buddy, i actually had this SAME problem and you're 100% right on. i was going to answer what worked for me but you already had it! the cpu was seated wrong and therefor the power was not going to slots 1 and 3. I re-seated the cpu and boom, it booted fine with all 4 slots. To be honest i'm a little upset i didnt see this post before. 

8 Posts

April 9th, 2019 15:00

@SENIORhelpdesk wrote:

Hey buddy, i actually had this SAME problem and you're 100% right on. i was going to answer what worked for me but you already had it! the cpu was seated wrong and therefor the power was not going to slots 1 and 3. I re-seated the cpu and boom, it booted fine with all 4 slots. To be honest i'm a little upset i didnt see this post before. 

No worries, live and learn lol. I've since switched to a custom rig with Ryzen though, a real beast. 

1 Message

January 2nd, 2024 16:54

@Crysium​ I encountered this problem with my Optiplex 7010 where theBlack Pair of Memory DIMM sockets gave a 2-3 Blink diagnostic if populated.

I re-seated the CPU and cleaned and replaced the Heatsink Compound and all is well now.

For anybody about to do this, the procedure requires:

1. Open the Computer
  2. Detach the DVD ROM Drive Cables and remove the DVD ROM Drive
  3. Detach the Hard Drive Cables and remove the Hard Drive complete with the Cage
  4. Remove the 5 screws securing the Systm Fan and lift off the Fan
  5. Loosen the 4 Spring Screws securing the CPU Heatsink
  6. Clean all traces of Heatsink Compound and clean all dusr from the Heatsink vanes
  7. Unclip the CPU ZIF Socket retainer and lift the Pressure Plate; Lift out the CPU and examine for tarnish or dirt on the pads of the CPU and Socket. In my case, both were clean so I simply reseated the CPU in the socket and fixed the Pressure Plate and Retainer Clip 
  8. Apply fresh Heatsink Compound and re-fix the Heatsink with the four Spring Screws
  9. Re-fix the System Fan five screws
  10. Replace the Hard Drive and DVD Drive and Case Cover

Thank you for the tip and I hope this helps anybody els who encounters the same issue.

No Events found!