Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

March 6th, 2019 07:00

Optiplex 7010 sff USB3 ports not working

This is a refurbished PC recently purchased from Amazon. It was sold with a clean install of Windows 10.

All is working fine apart from none of the USB3 ports on the front or the back are working, USB 2 ports are working OK but nothing registers when you plug into the USB3. Don't know if it's of any relevance but I have a USB cable which has a small led on the micro USB end, this lights when plugged into a USB port.This led lights when I plug the cable into the 7010 USB 3 ports.

Not had any response yet from the company that sold it. Device manager below.

dell device manager.jpg

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 6th, 2019 15:00

Download and install the Intel (motherboard) Chipset Drivers from the Dell downloads.  A corrupted chipset driver could be the problem and at least worth a try.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-7010/drivers

3 Posts

March 7th, 2019 07:00

Intel chipset driver from link says:-

"Description: This package provides the Intel Chipset Driver and is supported on Precision M6700/M4700/T1650, OptiPlex 9010/7010/990 and Latitude E5530/E5430 that are running the following Windows Operating Systems: XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I have Windows 10, is it still OK to download? I did choose Widows 10 /64 from drop down box.

I take it it will just overwrite existing driver but is there any risk of damaging the OS? Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2019 10:00

@redkite89 wrote:

This is a refurbished PC recently purchased from Amazon. 
Not had any response yet from the company that sold it. 

It was sold with a clean install of Windows 10.

Good troubleshooting so far, but buying "used computers" is always a dice-roll .  :Crying:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 7th, 2019 11:00

Many INTEL chipset/ME/VPRO drivers will be required before the USB3 ports work.

ApplicationSupported OSDownload
Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - vPro
This package provides Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Application (for vPro systems) and is supported on Tablet, Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision that are running following Windows operating systems: Windows 32/64 bit.More details
WB32A
WB64A
WT32A
WT64A

DescriptionSupported OSDownload
Intel Management Engine Components Installer
This package provides the driver for the Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer installs Intel(R) Management Engine Interface Driver, Intel(R) Management & Security Status software, LMS service etc. and is supported on the Dell Optiplex, Latitude, Precision, XPS models running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows 10 64bit, Windows Server 2K16, Windows Server 2K12 R2, Windows Server 2K8. Note: This driver is required to install in addition to chipset driver.More details
WT64A
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
WB64A

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
This package contains the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for Dell OptiPlex, Precision, and Latitude systems that run the Windows operating system. This update fixes the issue where certain USB monitors and camera devices stop working.More details
1.0.10.25511/17/2016

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2019 12:00

@speedstep wrote:

Many INTEL chipset/ME/VPRO drivers will be required before the USB3 ports work.

Correct. 

However, according to the screen-shot  ; nothing relevant in Device Manager is in error (unless something in "System Devices" is).

205 Posts

March 7th, 2019 13:00

And just to cover all the bases, make sure all the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.

That happened to me with a unit from Dell Refurbished - everything seemed fine and the drivers loaded, but the BIOS had them disabled.

I realize this is probably not the problem here, but it is a used machine, similar to mine.

T3600BIOSUSB.PNG

3 Posts

March 13th, 2019 07:00

Looked in BIOS and USB3 is enabled, no errors flagged in System Devices. Not installed the Chipset Driver as no mention of Windows 10 in description, just XP, Vista and 7.

The following link says order of loading drivers is important, so possibly this may be my problem. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/OptiPlex-9010-USB-3-0-not-working/td-p/4558508

Don't want to mess about with PC too much as it belongs to an elderly relative.

Sorry for delay in responding but been away for a few days.

205 Posts

March 16th, 2019 13:00

There is always the possibility that the USB 3 ports/chip is defective at the hardware level - I have a laptop like that, where the USB 3.0 ports died (still give power but no data) and no longer ID my USB drives or peripherals. USB 2.0 is fine and I use that for mouse + thumb drives now. 

1 Message

November 12th, 2019 23:00

I do not think it's a failure of the USB ports. I have 2 Optiplex 7010 sff that work well on Windows 7 but do not work on Windows 10.

2.5K Posts

November 13th, 2019 12:00

i guess you mean a keyboard fails on any USB 3 port or a mouse fails.. no USB devices  stated. of 1000s possible. ( if the keyboard fails then the port is dead or wrong drivers. (do a full power reset on the PC,?) 0volts.

any port on any PC can latch up, so we power reset it,  this cure dead ports if truly Hardware is failing.

ESD events to that, by design. (self preservation)

that is the job of intel chipset Q77,  and is fully sported with MS OS.  for sure,

type chipset here. (see those )

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-7010/drivers

Q77, this is what is there,. 

q77-block-diagram-450x450.jpg

Q77 btw runs on w10 64bit no issues, infact back to Q41 , q31 and omg 945G P4 651.

if you fresh load W10 with ethernet wired to your router, it hits the deck running.

(even as test  to a spare SSD works)

or booting to linux demo media, see USB WORK see that keyboard on USB3 work. it will. if does your driver are mangled. on w10,

15 Posts

February 17th, 2021 06:00

Once USB 3.0 is enabled, are all 4 USB ports on the front panel  support 3.0? or just some of them?

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

February 17th, 2021 18:00

@OldWang 

Photo might not be as clear as in real life, but you'll see the the USB 3.0 have "SS" by them.  USB 3.0 driver is in Win10.  Are your 3.0 ports not working or are they okay?

20210217_195512.jpg

6 Posts

September 13th, 2022 11:00

i had similiar problem -  3.0 ports didnt recognize my external disk - reinstalling chipset driver helped.

if you are thinking about some upgrades, i have win11 installed on nvme ssd, and it works great.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2023 13:00

Dell Optiplex 7010 front USB3 ports no longer working. This happened when transfer files from iPhone to the D:\ HDD and the prosess stopped.  The D:\ HDD was corrupted and those two front USB3 stopped working, not even 5V power from them.  All ports on back are OK as are all SATA II and III operate fine.   I replaced the front panel "USB and Audio" with cables but problem remains: No USB 3 on FP. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 1st, 2023 13:00

You said HDD was corrupted.  Did you reload fresh deleting all previous partitions?  Or did you use a new HDD/SSD?  If so, could be a motherboard problem.  Good troubleshooting by the way with replacing front I/O panel.

If you already hit Update in Device Manager, another idea is to do it with device plugged in.

No Events found!