Start a Conversation

Unsolved

XE

2 Posts

October 19th, 2018 15:00

Optiplex 7040 Freezes with new RAM

I recently purchased RAM from a local store (Transcend DDR4 4GB 2133 UDIMM TS512MLH64V1H). I wanted to populate all four slots but the highest available in store are only 4GB. I replaced the Samsung 4GB PC4-2133P single stick. As soon as the computer boots to the OS, it just freezes up and is no longer usable. The farthest I got was launching chrome. Dell diagnostics pass, even the 4 hour memory test on the four sticks. Already tried to return the RAM but the store only accepts defective products. They tried the sticks on their test PC and it works well without issues. They even ran memory stress test and the system was flawless. So I tried reinstalling the OS but it did not resolve the issue. I tried 1 stick at a time in different slots as well as single channel and dual channel configuration but the issue remains. It does have BSOD most of time with different error message but more often is the "Memory_Management" error. I've been searching online for almost a month now but could not find any thread similar to my case. My brother is currently enjoying the memory sticks I bought on his HP computer. His had Ballistix Elite 4GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM which I don't want to use with my Samsung as it doesn't have the same frequency. I'm currently hesitant to purchase another set of RAM as I'm afraid it would be another waste. I'm hoping this is just a simple BIOS configuration change that someone could point out. Below is my hardware config.

Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF

BIOS version 1.10.1

Intel Core i5-6500 (QC/6MB/4T/3.2GHz/65W)

3.5" 500GB 7200rpm HDD

Samsung 4GB PC4-2133P single stick

No Optical drive or any add-on card

No additional external devices (only mouse, keyboard and LAN)

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Thank you for your time.

Let me know if you need more info.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2018 04:00

Dell's have a history of memory compatibility.  One will work OK with one brand of non-Dell memory and another will not.  For that reason I always recommend Crucial as it is one brand that is guaranteed to work in a Dell.

Here is the Crucial listing:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-7040-%28mini-tower%29

No Events found!