Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2021 13:00

Optiplex 7050 SFF Built-in Standoff/Pin

In the Optiplex 7050 SFF, Dell has the standoff and M.2 screw setup as a single piece. This is a piece of blue plastic that gets placed through the hole in the PCB, then you rotate it 90 degrees to secure it to the motherboard. It has a pin attached at the top that sinks into the standoff to hold the M.2 down securely. One 7050 SFF I have, the pin is broken inside of the standoff, making it unusable to hold an M.2. I could try getting the pin out of the standoff and using something else jammed into the standoff to secure the M.2, but I would rather keep a clean solution..

Here is the broken part.

Broken M.2 PinBroken M.2 Pin

I have done too much perusing the internet looking for this part... I have found some references to a spacer, but nothing that shows the part, and gives a part number... I suspect it is DHR6X, as it is mentioned here for upgrades in the 7050 family to allow an M.2 to be installed, but again nothing showing the item and naming it or a part number for it.. Searching this part number yields results suggesting is the part I am looking for, but nothing showing and naming the part..

I initially submitted a service request through the TechDirect portal for my agency, and was told this is hardware damage and not covered and to speak with the "Out of Plan" team to arrange purchasing the part. Also they would call me at a certain time in the next 48 if I give them a time. I give them a time, get a confirmation, and get no call. I reached out over the website chat, and discussed with a Rani L.. Rani was very nice and courteous, and after seeing that Dell emailed me to talk with the Out of Plan team suggested I could call Sales... I then asked if Rani could identify the part for me, and give me the part number. They took a few minutes and came back with "as I can see that this M.2 drive has embedded in Motherboard and I am sorry but I don't have separate part of this pin."

I feel crazy, like I'm the only person who has ever broken a thin piece of plastic, and that Dell doesn't make this part. I am game for other solutions, but the hole in the PCB that this plastic fits into is quite wide, and seems proprietary to the plastic standoff.

I suppose I will be calling the spare parts and sales numbers I have located since other avenues have not worked out, to see if this DHR6X part is in-fact what I am looking for.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 17th, 2021 07:00

Phone number to spare parts is

1-800-372-3355 Round Rock, TX

@DELL-Chris M  might have more information

m2 mt.jpg

(MT)

2 1x M.2
2.5"
1x M.2 + 1x 3.5"

M.2 slot supports 4X

Installing a M.2 device into the 2.5/3.5" bay is not supported

1x DHR6X - Spacer (between the motherboard and M.2 drive)   On motherboard M.2 installation instructions found here.

April 15th, 2021 14:00

Thought I was posting under the Optiplex Desktops category but I was wrong.. I can't edit/remove the post, please move it, or delete it and I can repost in the correct area.

April 16th, 2021 07:00

Welcome to Dell, the company that will not sell the proprietary spare parts that they make.

All support know how to do is claim out of warranty, go buy it from reseller. They have no f king idea these are not easy to find/buy.

I had such issue recently, can't buy a part locally which should have been provided by default.

You will be better of spending your time to engineer your own solution, like what i did with a bit of tape.

91 Posts

April 16th, 2021 11:00

You kinda answered your own question already.  I followed your link to the M.2 install instructions, and if you look under 7050, and scroll all the way right, there is a column for "additional information" and that block says:

On motherboard M.2 installation instructions found here.

Clicking the link for "here" on that page leads you to the pictoral instructions, where your blue standoff is shown visually.

On another note, that is hardly "hardware damage".  That's bits and pieces, should be replaceable under normal wear and tear for a system as old as a 7050.  The system board itself is not compromised.  Just the standoff.  I'd revisit this one and if you still have an extended warranty, try submitting a tech direct self-dispatch warranty request for a system board replacement for broken m.2 standoff.  Talk to a higher level supervisor if need be.  We use TechDirect here as well, it can be tricky to learn which language pushes the request through.

91 Posts

April 17th, 2021 10:00

Yep, that's the one!  Thanks I don't know how to embed stuff....

No Events found!