Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

7 Posts

March 25th, 2020 21:00

Optiplex 7050 Ultra sff. Alert! Previous Shutdown Due to Thermal Event

Hello,

I am having a strange issue with an Optiplex 7050 Ultra Small Form Factor machine.  It is an i7 7700, with 16GB and a 2.5in solid state drive.  If I boot into Windows it gets to the point of almost loading the desktop and shuts down. Each time I power it back on it says "Alert! Previous Shutdown Due to Thermal Event."  

I called tech support they shipped me a new (refurb) motherboard, I swapped the motherboard and I am having the same exact issue.  I used the thermal paste supplied. I have been building or repairing computers professionally for over 20 years so i am confident in my abilities to swap the components.  

If I boot into bios and let it sit it will run for a long time no thermal issues, no shutdowns.  If I boot into safe mode it will run for a long time with no thermal issues, no shutdowns.  I have run the dell diagnostics and it passed completely with no issues, including the fan test.  When it is running the fan is spinning just enough where i can hear it but it is not fast or loud at all.

Is it possible there is some sort of watchdog or other software related issue causing this shutdown?  It am currently running Windows 10 (not pro) from the latest media creation tool (Win 10 version 1909).  

I booted into safe mode and looked at the event viewer, i did not see any events that seemed related or gave me any hints.

7 Posts

March 25th, 2020 22:00

I also reformatted and reinstalled Windows. I tested by removing 1 ram module at a time. I ran SFC /scannow and did not detect any issues. I booted into safe mode and disabled all non-Microsoft services and startup items.

I disabled automatic restart on failure which isn't really applicable but I tried it anyways. The machine is powering off completely, it doesn't restart until power button is pushed to power on again.

At one point I did get an error message from RunTimeBroker.exe "unknown hard failure".

System bios revision 1.12.1

In Dell Diagnostics the processor fan is reporting 2151 RPM. Hard Drive 0-0-0 thermal is 32*c and CPU thermistor is 37*c 

• 

25K Posts

March 26th, 2020 15:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

7 Posts

March 26th, 2020 18:00

I responded to the PM, thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

7 Posts

March 26th, 2020 19:00

Issue seems to be related to the Intel Video Driver.  I reformatted the drive again, reinstalled Windows 10 1909 and left the network cable unplugged.  Everything ran fine as long as the network cable was unplugged. 

When i plugged in to the internet Windows went out and downloaded the Intel driver for the on board 630 video card as soon as that driver is installed the issue of powering off recurs. 

I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the video card and checked the box to also delete the driver.  Unplugged the network cable and booted back into windows.  Machine ran fine until I plugged in the cable and allowed it to automatically install the video card driver again.  I can now recreate the issue.

From support.dell.com I downloaded the intel video driver dated Dec 02 2019 Version: 26.20.100.7263 ,A10.  

When I attempted to install the driver from support.dell.com it said not supported on this version of windows. 

I am going to reformat and reinstall with Windows 10 1903 to see if the issue was introduced with 1909.

• 

25K Posts

March 26th, 2020 19:00

Was the diagnostics passed? When was the last time it worked? ^VA

7 Posts

March 26th, 2020 20:00

Same results with Windows 10 1903, using the Dell Video driver and the latest available from the intel website igfx_win10_100.7985.exe

As soon as a video driver is installed it powers off and boots up with error message Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event.  Booting into safe mode and uninstalling the video card driver allows the machine to boot into Windows and run fine until Windows installs the video card driver.

7 Posts

March 26th, 2020 21:00

Passes Dell Diagnostics both standard and extended.  After it finished diagnostics I allowed the machine to sit idle on the screen in Dell Diagnostics where it displays the CPU temperature. I let it sit overnight and all day while I was at work the CPU temperature max temperature was 44*c and it did not shutdown during the 18hrs of sitting idle on in Dell Diagnostics.

This machine is a Dell Outlet Referb, looking at the bios the thermal error was shown with a date stamp prior to the date I purchased it. Someone already had this machine and it got processed through the outlet and resold to me. The trouble started when I ran all windows updates and driver updates.

I just called tech support and requested a parts only CPU replacement it will arrive in the next few days.  I believe the Video chipset is somehow integrated with the i7-7700 so I would like to replace the CPU just to see if it is possibly defective and not a driver issue.

I followed this article to prevent the video card driver from updating, the machine has been running for the last hour or so with out issue.

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/

I ran Dell Command Update and allowed all updates, I am running Windows updates now.  As long as I don't allow the video driver to install it seems to run fine.

7 Posts

April 7th, 2020 22:00

After replacing the CPU the problem seems to be resolved. With the new CPU installed I was able to install all drivers with no more shutdowns or thermal issues. 

No Events found!