bluetoe
2 Bronze

Optiplex 7080 MT front universal audio jack not detecting mic

We plugged a V-MODA mic/headset 3.5mm combo connector into the front of the 7080 MT, but only the headphones are detected via Realtek. The mic is nowhere to be found. This headset has worked fine on other Mac/PC/XBOX systems.

The 7080 MT specs say the front single audio jack is a Universal Audio Jack (UAJ).

PC is a factory OS of Windows 10 64-bit with BIOS 1.1.5 (July 2020).

I have tried the following without success:

• Installed the latest Realtek drivers.
  • Installed Windows 10 v2004
  • Poked around in audio settings but there is no mic detected.
  • Tried unsuccessfully on a 2nd 7080 MT with similar configuration.

I have Pro support but wanted to ask here first.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
fireberd
8 Krypton

Re: Optiplex 7080 MT front universal audio jack not detecting mic

With two PC's doing the same thing, although the combo headset/mic worked on others do you have access to a different brand to test?  May be an issue with some setup (The documentation I have access to doesn't help).  You say you reinstalled Realtek, it must be the Dell supplied not some other Windows installed version

Otherwise, its a problem for Dell support. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
bluetoe
2 Bronze

We tested this headset today on an Optiplex 7070 which worked fine.

We tried removing/re-installing the Realtek drivers on the 7080 but it seems like we either have an odd hardware compatibility issue or a factory-installed Windows 10 driver issue unique to the 7080.

I am working with support but they have nothing on file for this issue.

I ordered a $15 headset/mic to try early next week to ensure it's just not a strange hardware issue with the other headset and the 7080.

0 Kudos
bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

I'm not 100% sure this is it, but definitely think it's worth a try, or at least check.

With your headset plugged in - Speaker icon in Control Panel (not the speaker icon on taskbar) > Recording tab should show headset, double-click on it > in new window, Listen tab > check box for Listen to this device.  The box is unchecked by default.  I like keeping the speaker icon on my desktop.

My screengrab below shows line-in.  Should be same pathway though for your headset.  Please let us know if there's any issues, like if the headset doesn't show up in either Playback or Recording tab, and so on.

My headphones (though Bluetooth) (not in screengrab) show as both headphones and headset in the Playback tab (1st window).  Make sure it's the headset icon that has the checkmark by it.

20200502_163334~4.jpg

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

bluetoe
2 Bronze

Thanks for the idea but when this headset is plugged in there is no input device at all on the 7080.

bluetoe_0-1598018399663.png

But on the 7070 it is detected thus:

bluetoe_1-1598018446936.png

0 Kudos
bluetoe
2 Bronze

I confirmed this is a Dell driver issue on the 7080 Optiplex with Windows 10 64-bit.

We tried a second different headset model on a THIRD Optiplex 7080 and it had the same issue.

So I booted Ubuntu on the machine which immediately recognized the mic just fine:

bluetoe_0-1598310178441.png

0 Kudos
sirGnano1
2 Bronze

Were you able to resolve? I'm having the same issue on my 7080.

0 Kudos
bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

Not that you should have to, but there's only one other work around I can think of - use an audio card.

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

0 Kudos
Ruwansiri
2 Bronze

Please use Max Audio Pro Software

For setup Headset

0 Kudos
bradthetechnut
5 Rhenium

Hi @Ruwansiri ,

Did you try it on your 7080 and does it work?

Found 2 versions on Dell site.  Newer version released May 2020:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=m96hh 

Older/previous version released Aug. 2017:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r70v3 

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos