1 Copper

Optiplex 7460: Can I use as an external monitor for a laptop

I have a Dell Optiplex 7460 all-in-one desktop. How can I use it as an external monitor for my laptop

There is an HDMI-in port. When I connect my Macbook Pro (2017) via this port my macbook recognizes the Optiplex, and seems to think it's displaying across two screens. However, the Optiplex display does not change, and I have been unable to find any relevant options/settings.

3 Replies
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: Optiplex 7460: Can I use as an external monitor for a la

@azc211 wrote:

I have a Dell Optiplex 7460 all-in-one desktop. How can I use it as an external monitor for my laptop

There is an HDMI-in port. When I connect my Macbook Pro (2017) via this port my macbook recognizes the Optiplex, and seems to think it's displaying across two screens. However, the Optiplex display does not change, and I have been unable to find any relevant options/settings.

maybe https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-AIO-7450-to-connect-to-a-laptop/td-p/60405... will help

Highlighted
7 Thorium

@azc211 wrote:

1. There is an HDMI-in port.

2. When I connect my Macbook Pro (2017) via this port my macbook recognizes the Optiplex, and seems to think it's displaying across two screens.

3. However, the Optiplex display does not change, and I have been unable to find any relevant options/settings.

1. This appear to be true

2. Be sure the MacBook's monitor settings are correct

3. I think you have to use the 7460's main buttons to switch to "HDMI Video-In" .

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Hi @azc211,

Check out the visual guide and you'll see a Video Input Selector button at the bottom. See if it helps.

1.JPG

P.S.: Don't mix it up with Optiplex 7450. They designed in totally different way. The button on 7450 with same function named as OnScreen Display and located on right hand side but not bottom:

2.JPG

“May the Force be with Dell.”