lakshi786
2 Bronze

Optiplex 755, DVD RW Drive not showing

Hello, i have a dell optiplex 755 running on windows 7 64bit...problem is dvd drive not showing on my computer..when i go to BIOS it says DVD ROM not present. I changed sata cable still same problem. Can anyone help me out?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
lakshi786
2 Bronze

Re: DVD RW Drive not showing on optiplex 755

I changed the optical drive also still same problem
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

If it's not the optical drive itself, try a new SATA cable and power-cable ... on a different SATA-port header.

Sometimes, you can check optical drive with ePSA (outside of Windows).

If you think it might be Windows, sometimes deleting the drive from Device Manager and letting it re-detect fixes that glitch.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Most newer drives will not see the DVD unless the SATA OPERATION is set to AHCI not ATA.

The other issue that affects this is the drive region code.

Once you install XP from CD and change the region code to 1 for usa the drive works normally again.  In other words it will not see your Vista or 7 or 8 or 10 dvd as bootable until the region is set.

If you don't have the CD to install you could do Linux CD to set the region code for the DVD.

Download LupuPlus 5.2.8.005-1 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupuplus-528.005-1.iso

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
lakshi786
2 Bronze

how to setup dell optiplex 755 BIOS SATA OPERATION to AHCI?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

You might have to start a new thread with the above question so it gets noticed. elpro999 is just one that's familiar with changing BIOS.

I can only see the previous reply while typing, so please pardon if I missed it. - I take it you tried plugging in your DVD drive into different sata ports and power to it isn't an issue?.

Edited to clarify - I also have a 755 with a new DVD-RW drive. Whether I used 1 or 2 optical drives, I had to try different sata ports to get the drive(s) acknowledged. I think you'd agree in your case - it shouldn't have turned so complicated.

Please remember to "Accept as Solution" if a post answered the problem. Reply further if comment or question as each reply bumps the thread to the top of the list bettering your chance of further answer if needed.
- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos

I'm not sure of your BIOS search - Upon startup with "Dell" and "F" key functions onscreen, did you use F12 for the Boot Menu? It lists all acknowledged bootable drives without having to search.
- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

@lakshi786wrote:
how to setup dell optiplex 755 BIOS SATA OPERATION to AHCI?

You press  F2 after turning it on and then go to the section in the bios under DRIVES then SATA Operation.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-755_u...

Drives

Diskette Drive (Internal default)

This option enables or disables the floppy drive. The options are Off, Internal, USB, and Read Only.

NOTE: If USB is selected, ensure that USB Controller setup option under Onboard Devices is set to On.

SATA 0 through SATA n

Identifies and enables and disables the drives attached to the SATA connectors on the system board and lists the capacities for the hard drives.

NOTE: These options appear as SATA 0 through SATA 3 for the mini tower, SATA 0 through SATA 2 for the desktop, SATA 0 and SATA1 for the small form factor and ultra small form factor computers.

External SATA

Identifies and enables and disables the drives attached to the eSATA connector on the system board and lists the capacities for the hard drives.

NOTE: This option is not available on the ultra small form factor computer.

SATA Operation

(RAID Autodetect/AHCI default for mini- tower and desktop)

(AHCI default for small form factor and ultra small form factor)

Options for Mini Tower and Desktop:

l RAID Autodetect/AHCI (RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI)

l RAID Autodetect/ATA (RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA)

l RAID On (SATA is configured for RAID on every boot)

NOTE: When in Autodetect mode, the computer configures the drive as RAID if a RAID signature is detected on the drive. Otherwise the drive will be configured as AHCI or ATA.

Options for Small Form Factor and Ultra Small Form Factor:

l AHCI

l ATA

SMART Reporting

(Off default)

This setting determines whether integrated drive errors are reported or not during computer start-up.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos