Highlighted
3 Argentum

Optiplex 755

Jump to solution

Optiplex 755

I put in a larger hard drive and moved the old one to the 2nd slot. Plugged in the power which was already there. New Dell SATA cable from drive to socket marked SATA on the mother board. 2nd drive does not show up in BIOs. What am I missing.

Novice here, keep it simple, Please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Optiplex 755

Jump to solution

Why would I try the 4th port.  The 2nd drive shows in the SATA-2 port. There are only two drive slots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 MT

Jump to solution

I just typed a whole reply without being signed in and lost it.

You have 2 bays for HDD's.  That shouldn't be hangup for trying the SATA-3 port and seeing if both HDD's then show in the boot menu.  My suggestions are what I would try if having the same problem(s) on my 755 (currently for sale).

If a computer shop determined a SATA port isn't working, it would likely mean a new MB (motherboard) on a 12 yr. old PC.  Might be time for something newer if it keeps giving you trouble.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Try resetting the bios: Unplug the power cord. press and hold the power button for 10 sec or more. Remove the coin cell battery for about 10 min. Then put it back in. Plug power cord to the wall outlet. Start the computer and see if bios finds it.

Unless the battery has been recently replaced, it also might be a good time to pop in a new battery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

That didn’t work. 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Hang tight Dot.

A dell Rockstar musician will soon be here!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks. Until then. I ordered a new sata cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

The 755 has what I consider "manual" BIOS.  It does not automatically detect new plug-ins.  Under Drives in BIOS, turn on your SATA ports that are otherwise off until you find your drive displayed in the BIOS screen. Any SATA ports not in use have to be off; otherwise, an error message will display at startup.

If by chance the above does not work, you might have to simply turn on all of your SATA ports, restart, then turn off the ones not in use.

I'm including a couple of screengrabs off of my previous 755.  They'll show once approved my a moderator.

SATA On or Off Options  1-26-19.jpg

SATA Off  1-26-19.jpg

I'm sure you know it's F2 to get into BIOS at startup.

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

SATA 0 is slot 1, SATA 1 is DVD. It doesn't matter if one or both of 3 and 4 are off or on. No signal from slot 2. i switched the drives back and still only 0 and 1 are recognized.

I turned off 3&4 for now.5531BE2F-B8C2-4CA1-9D9C-CEA878BE6CAF.jpeg2FC22A49-293B-48E8-84F1-C0FEA41C5732.jpeg487A0A94-360A-4FB2-88B6-EF3C11AA92BB.jpeg35BCB977-8AF8-4673-B5CE-37CCCC2F4688.jpeg9BA425C1-8331-4DB8-AA9D-12789B5CC724.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

MT = mini tower.  Though the size isn't always needed, somebody can't live without it.  But I will mention some smaller models have less sata ports.  Not that we can always assume, but didn't we already establish your 755 is an MT in your other posts?

Sounds like you have a dead port on your MB (motherboard).  Did you try any other drives in it, like a DVD drive?

If you use F12 at startup to get to the boot menu, I take it your drive doesn't show there either.

I don't know if a 755 can take 2 bootable HDD's.  But it still sounds like you have a dead sata port; especially if you tried it by itself without any other bootable drives plugged in.

MODELS.png

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Didn’t try it by itself but I will. Bad cable because I bent it??- should have gotten the 90 deg plug. Ordered another.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

You're welcome.  I just got done editing my post when your's popped in.

Definitely a good idea getting a cable with a 90 degree plug.

Hard to say from here if your current cable is bad.  I noticed SATA data cables are more durable than some audio wires.  Lower quality audio wires, accidentally pull on it or something and then it gets finicky or doesn't work at all.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

the I had it plugged into the wrong socket. I probably should have guessed the white label went to the white socket. So now it shows up in bios, but not in the boot sequence.  Boot only capable of 3 choices?? and there is no floppy.

.76F379A6-D57F-4266-8785-0D3B7913784D.jpeg31D83FBB-0FF5-4A79-BDE0-588F5ABAD646.jpeg1D9999B2-FC5D-4491-809E-36B1D51A22D6.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

You said the drive shows in BIOS but not the Boot Menu.  Does it show in Boot Sequence in BIOS?

Something that came to mind is what version of BIOS do you have or when it was last updated?  A22 is the latest BIOS for the 755 as far as I know.  I don't know that updating BIOS for sure is a fix, but is commonly recommended before doing certain things on the computer.

Is it the Linux or Windows drive that the Boot Menu is not seeing?

"...white label goes into the white socket." - What white label were you referring to?

Please keep in mind your latest photos don't show yet. - In case they have answers.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I thought my pictures showed that.

Doesn’t show in F2 boot sequence or in F12 settings/ boot sequence.

Bios version = A22 (6/11/12)

processor Intel Core2 Duo CPU

64-bit= Yes (Intel Em64T)

Old drive 65GB is windows, new one 1TB is Linux,

both drives work in first slot, neither in 2nd. 

Here’s another pic.  of inside. white socket has white print next to it . I had the plug in the

one above the print.

E836B487-C017-474D-A9AC-54AB71A16542.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I'm sure your photos will show once approved by a moderator.

If I have this right, you tried the 3rd port and the drive doesn't show in the Boot Menu or Boot Sequence, but shows in BIOS.  Any luck with the 4th?

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Why would I try the 4th port.  The 2nd drive shows in the SATA-2 port. There are only two drive slots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I thought you were unable to get the drive in question to fully show up while plugged into the 3rd port (SATA-2), and not at all in the 2nd (SATA-1).

Since you marked your last post as solved, does that mean both drives are fully working?

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I didn't mean to mark this solved. Sorry.

Both drives work fine in SATA 0 slot. I don't believe there is a problem with either drives.

I now have the 1Tb drive in SATA 2 slot and it shows up in setup, but not in boot list.

Have not tried SATA 3 because I have space for only two drives in the computer.

Going to now work on posting pictures of bios pages, but couldn't last night.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Cant do pictures, the photo button will not bring up iPad pictures.

SATA0 is 65Gb drive, ON.

SATA1 is DVD, ON

SATA 2 is 1Tb drive, ON.

SATA3 empty, OFF. 

Boot up page picture was OK. shows 3 boot options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

"Cant do pictures, the photo button will not bring up iPad pictures."

Getting pictures from an IPad requires WINDOWS and ITUNES and supported model.

LINUX is not an option for using an IPAD. If an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn’t recognized in iTunes on Windows, AMDS may need to be restarted.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204275

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

What's New in QuickTime 7.7.9
QuickTime 7.7.9 contains security updates and is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users on Windows. For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Apple’s mobile device support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203188

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201413
The following might happen if your security software is causing an issue with iTunes:

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch aren't recognized in iTunes, or they won't back up, restore, update, sync, or activate.
You see iTunes Errors 4, 6, 1630–1641, 3000–3999, or 9000–9999.*
You can’t connect to iTunes Store to buy or download content.
iTunes won’t open.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Optiplex 755 MTQ

Jump to solution

Now it’s working.

sent from my iPad.

2FF40EDB-A923-42C7-9E18-775668D0446B.jpegE81CC39A-8802-4D05-9E46-052ECC91614A.jpeg4CED84F9-A435-4E29-9CCB-53F7E788C4CE.jpegA1259175-2377-4484-820C-62F1A4A1DBDE.jpegD1806D16-1A54-42D8-B66B-036ED4BBD213.jpeg87C991AB-C17C-4C6D-88AE-B774C1EB6BDE.jpegB75F47AA-4008-4760-AE52-B5EC815035C0.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Thanks for reporting back here Dot. It's nice to know the end results. Often, people just disappear afterwards. Or perhaps they were run off ?    🙂

Glad you got it working, and I wish I could have been more help, but my knowledge is very limited.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Something that might be handy:  Optiplex 755 Tech Guide 

In the Boot Menu, where it shows "SATA Drive," if you hit enter on it, does it then show 2 drives (with both hooked up) or does it just go right to one of the SATA drives?

What made me think of it - Normally I've seen more detail, like a model # with the drive; whereas on your Boot Menu screen it just shows "SATA Drive."

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

It goes to SATA0 drive.

In storage mgmt there is an option to make that drive “dynamic” but says that will destroy the o.s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I went into bios setup and turned off sata0.

It booted to the other drive. One way to get there I guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Huh, I guess at least it's closer to working than it was before; just not the way we expected.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

So is that it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I just typed a whole reply without being signed in and lost it.

You have 2 bays for HDD's.  That shouldn't be hangup for trying the SATA-3 port and seeing if both HDD's then show in the boot menu.  My suggestions are what I would try if having the same problem(s) on my 755 (currently for sale).

If a computer shop determined a SATA port isn't working, it would likely mean a new MB (motherboard) on a 12 yr. old PC.  Might be time for something newer if it keeps giving you trouble.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

OK. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

You're  welcome and thanks for accepting my post as a solution. 🙂

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 MT wants to DUAL BOOT the PC some way.

Jump to solution

DUAL booting, google that and read.. please..   (read then ask questions is best)

that is what you  long posts never said then said what is DUAL boot last.

Your BIOS is not a boot manager,at all (but you learned that forcing boots in BIOS can be done in A22)

GOOGLE Dual booting Windows and Linux, see the endless problems  on modern PC and UEFI issues.

Is that it ?  well only you know that, nobody can know  what you really want or expect, for sure. (not once told)

If you had newer PC, (CPU) with Hyper-v features you could run Linux as  image boot. from W7.(or W10)

Ok now you know how to force boots in BIOS, (the disablement of ports trick) so.., SOLVED THIS IS?

your MT has 5 SATA ports, plenty if one fails you can USE another, if you use   BIOS to do that. 

below is the MT motherboard with 5 SATA ports  that is why we ask (one reason) what case you have.

so if ONE FAILS we can switch to another, the PC wants to  boot on the blue slot, and as you learned it can be forced, in  tedious way.   ports can be enabled or disable and boot order too. IN BIOS... that is all you get..

755mt5.JPG

This is the full sized PC case, called MT  called MiniTower, the best of them all for future upgrades..

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Link given by savvy2 is for dual booting from one HDD.  Dot has 2 HDD's, one with Win7 and one with Linux.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

yes many pages show 2 HDD beyond scope of this document, yes..

the rules for using 2 drive to boot are also covered in windows and linux.

both,. w7, not W10.

they need to google to learn that.

the trick is the limits of W7, BCDEdit limits, for sure.  OR EasyBCD.exe (clean) click register.

google dual boot with 2 drives, finds them, in clear text easy search.

w7 only,. and linux and 2 HDD.  ezbcd is the most easy way and is 100% safe for malware.

FOUND IT here at MS.

After installing it, go to the Add/Remove Entries Tab >

Add Entry at the bottom.

From the drop-down Linux Tab select Grub, give it a meaningful name and point it to the appropriate drive. Click tab linux/bcd , for sure ONLY you know what linux you run and what boot loader it uses .Grub1,2 or Lilo. then what  linux drive, D:?  and then what partition GRUB resides.

dual booting W7 goes back to year 2007 .so NO LACK of examples ever on topic.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

such basic questions,

why,  why use more SATA ports, or slots.

Ports (hardware) can fail,  and you then try another

your photos show MT PC,  you fail to know not all cases uses the same motherboard and even unique BIOS on the smallest of cases THAT IS WAY FOLKS ask, what PC DO YOU HAVE...

and this PC has no BOOT manager in BIOS, period. (other than forcing boot drives dead or trying F12, forced boots)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 (caseless PC?)

Jump to solution

you finally discover BIOS,.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 (no case stated , how can we help you lacking this KEY FACT)???

Jump to solution

MT, DT, SFF, USFF

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what do you have, why make this so hard,  tell case first. then we can play ports all day long.

Hint they are not the same. PC. 

755.jpg

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 (no case) wants a DUAL BOOT PC.

Jump to solution

you learned to setup BIOS

and Speedstep posted vast times BIOS IS not  BOOT manager

but then learned that if you shut off one SATA0 port the SATA1 port turned on , the NEW Forced boot drive will boot

but is hardly any kind of boot manager. (but forced) ok,  sure.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Optiplex 755 (no case stated , how can we help you lacking this KEY FACT)???

Jump to solution

You might read my question again. 

I don’t want to run windows 10. 

I have W7 32bit on the old drive, Linux Mint 64bit on the new. both work fine in the 1st slot. The computer does not recognize either in the 2nd.

Dont know what MT is or why you bring that up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

You cant mix 32 bit and 64 bit booting or Grub.

Mint is not supported by dell.

Ubuntu installed alongside windows works fine on 755.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

now we know it is 755MT PC and the real job or goal is DUAL booting, W7 and Linux

and that w10 is not an option,  good luck keeping w7 going into the future. W7 will become a virus magnet.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 NO CASE wants to DUAL BOOT 2 HDD.! finally told a goal...

Jump to solution

deleted, no interest at all in W10  on that old CORE2  CPU.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Optiplex 755 look like MT..

Jump to solution

....................................  you are not forcing hard boots, in BIOS, so case solved.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Optiplex 755 NO CASE wants to DUAL BOOT 2 HDD.! finally told a goal...

Jump to solution

Never heard of Dual boot and therefore not what I want. I just want to be able to get to both drives from boot menu. I am assuming this is possible if everything works. However, the 2nd drive is not showing up in the boot menu so 2nd drive is inaccessible.

Also I DO NOT WANT TO USE WINDOWS 10, as I have said several times. I tried it and burned up my whole 3Gb data for the month jin about an hour, before I could figure out what to disconnect from the internet. Sent the computer back, the DVD was not working anyway. I hate W10, don't need to be connected every moment on my computer and don't want to send anything to the Cloud. 

I am keeping W7 to use the programs there and using Linux to get to internet so I don't have to worry about updates and security.

OK? whether you like that or not that is where I am.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

My bios are black, not blue if you want trivia.

0 Kudos