Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

14 Posts

April 13th, 2019 09:00

Optiplex 780 Low Disk Space Message

Hi,new here from last night and have been searching online for any info I can get to get rid of this/these messages popping up on my screen for 3 weeks now and don't know why or how to get rid of them. Here goes..

My computer is an Optiplex 780 Desktop size I believe according to pictures,and it has the Core 2 Duo E8400-3.0GHz CPU..8 gigs of RAM.  Windows 7  64 bit

The computer runs great and have never had any problems until 3 weeks ago I got the dreaded message "Low disk space-you are running very low on disk space on local disk (C:). click here to see if you can free up space on this drive..and I keep getting this message from the moment I turn my computer on and it gets to the start screen as I am using it now and its driving me crazy...also now I can't view any pictures,it shows Windows Photo viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer.

I have seen a few posts online and tried this route and it will not work .1). Right click on My Computer & select Manage,then find Disk Management & click on it.  2). right click the Partition you want to remove Drive Letter,then select Change Drive Letter & Paths.   3). in the resulting dialogue box click Remove.   4). Click Yes to confirm the removal of the Drive Letter.

I did all this and it didn't work and I have no idea what else to do..I do believe this is quite common when there is a Microsoft Update,maybe whats called an 1803 ? 

Anyway if anyone here knows what I can do to help me remove this problem please chime in..I do greatly appreciate any info,I don't know where else to go and I have looked online forever it seems..

Real quick here because I didn't know why this started happening I have removed about everything I had on this computer except whats needed to run it thinking it would free up disk space and it actually did show there was some space on the Drive but then it went back to zero space left.

14 Posts

Prior to my post I had checked on system restore and it wouldn't let me do anything,I also got this message..Drive C: has only 0 MB of free disk space..to prevent information loss and performance problems  you need to free up some disk space..see Help and support...System restore might be suspended because there isn't enough disk space available..this means System Restore won't be able to undo harmful changes if they occur.

So after I saw that message thats when I went blank..so I don't even know how to turn System Restore off if its on.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

There is malware and the event logs are filling up the drive.  You have to go offline by turning off your router.

You have to turn system restore off, turn hibernate off,  allow event log to over write instead of keep until dooms day. 

Run Cleanmgr.exe and remove system files and system restore points and and and and.

14 Posts

April 13th, 2019 11:00

Am I supposed to download the Cleanmgr.exe and then follow the instructions ? Sorry I am not a Pro,just a computer user with some knowledge.

14 Posts

April 13th, 2019 16:00

I got the system restore turned off for the C drive,so I guess thats good but I got the info from Microsoft info page how to turn off hibernation and I can't get anywhere with that..I click Start,then in the small box type in cmd and hit enter,a black box opens up on the screen and has admin_,so I tried to type in my info and nothing,so I am doing something wrong.

The hibernation info I have goes like this.

1) Press Windows key on keyboard or click start..type cmd in the start box.

2) In the search results list list right click "command prompt" or cmd & then click "run as administrator".

3) When prompted by user account control,click "continue".

4) At the "command prompt" type powercfg.exe/hibernate off,then press "enter".

When I click  start the small box is there,i type in cmd and hit "enter" and a black box pops up on the screen,and it has admin..so I tried typing in my info and shows nothing found.. I haven't seen any Search result list,run as administer or nothing. anyone ..?

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 13th, 2019 21:00

Hi @speedstep, Cleanmgr.exe can be trusted to not remove necessary system files?

Hi @moshpit903, Are you able to access Microsoft Security Essentials?  If so, it should let you run a full scan.  Granted it's updated, it should isolate any malicious files.  Full-scan can take an hour or more.

The "1803" update you mention I believe is for Win10.  Microsoft has been coding Win10 updates yy/mo.  So 1803 came out March 2018.

Hopefully your luck gets better instead of having so many computer problems. :Smile:

14 Posts

April 13th, 2019 21:00

Yes the zero disk space will not let me use system restore. As far as accessing Microsoft Security essentials I can't find it anywhere..I have been all over Control panel and on the tool bar as instructed earlier and don't see it there either,but I can be wrong..On control panel I have looked all through System and Security and most of the other listings and don't see anything that I feel helps. I thought this would be the easy way for me to get my 990 MT back up and running with buying a new hard drive and installing Windows 7 myself but its turned out to be a pain..I see online some new hard drives already loaded and ready to use,just slip in and turn on computer and make maybe a few moves and thats it. I guess I will get it done somehow.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 13th, 2019 22:00

Upon further review, when I took a photo for your other thread, Microsoft Security Essentials isn't in the Control Panel of Win7 like I thought.  I might've been thinking of XP.  I saw in your other thread that you found its fortress icon.

I'll have to leave it to speedstep, or others with expertise in this area, to help you further.  For one thing, speedstep has programming experience and his computer expertise goes beyond mine.

2.5K Posts

April 14th, 2019 06:00

first off , we have no idea what HDD or SSD is inside your PC.

780 SFF, MT or mini tower case?  there are 3 models of 780 can we know this?

1803 is NOT W7, so we can forget w10

the PC is 7 years old. (not too old) some page in the manual hint at 2009 and XP.

The first step we do on the BENCH is test the RTC coin cell battery for not less than 2.9vdc,

the we boot a linux test disk or USB stick and run full disktests on that old HDD, including full  S.M.A.R.T TEST IN THAT DRIVE. if that passes, we then back up your data, or are you already backed up? 

with that done, we look to see if the recovery partition is missing or empty, if it look kinda ok, files all there

we run that next, called OS Recovery covered in your manual.

the F12 key at power on , also has  hdd tests under Diagnostics, page 17 in the users manual.

what OS this PC runs NOW is unstated.

what OS it came with day one, with recovery disks or recovery partition is unknown.

it is possible that this PC was upgraded from XP new, then Vista , then w7.

if that happened, only this fact tells me how to rebuild what you have now.

if the HDD passes tests

Id next find out what is  using up all the HDD space.

most reviews in this PC show HDD was 250GB , 10 times what is needed for W7.

so what  ever has filled it up, needs to be deleted.  this is very easy using say a

windows 7 PE service boot demo live disk

or same on a USB STICK

or run Ubuntu v16+ and click tryme.   and that demo mode will let you find what has filled up your hdd.

so :
1: bad hdd.

2: malware infected to the max.

takes my 15 minutes work to find that , in hand.

good luck to you.

the recovery is covered here too..... 1st google hit,  (I know from experience on PCs that the method can vary by what OS was installed new, XP:? some methods need the RECOVERY DISK that came with PC new.

if you have that great or us useless after 3 upgrades sure. (buy then OS new and start over.)

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-780-restore/td-p/3872547

14 Posts

April 14th, 2019 09:00

Hi..I finally got around to messing with my 2 computers..first off your post actually helped me fix my 990 MT and now it's setup and runs perfect with the new hard drive..I checked the batteries voltage and it was .47 so dead,popped in a new hot 3.44v battery set time and date and it now works perect,so THANKS A LOT FOR THAT INFO !!!   Now to my 780..it is the DT size..it has 2 slots for memory on the pcb..I did change that battery as well..I was told here that it's quite possible that Malware has gotten to it..I have McAfee 2019 with all security features on it and it has done a great job,but I have an actual Malware removal disk I used on another computer and it cleared it up quick,but with McAfee on the 780 would there any settings that need to be changed,turned off etc if I decide to run the Malware removal disk ?  I did manage to last night get some junk removed and had the C drive up to 11.2 gb instead of 0 and this morning when I turned it on I clicked on my computer and the 11.2gb went away back to 0..

14 Posts

April 14th, 2019 12:00

Good afternoon . I received a response to my post earlier today about my Optiplex 780 saying the person who posted said they first check out the voltage on the battery,and then some other tests.

I tried several times last night to set the time and date on the 990 and it kept going back to 2011,so I put a new battery in it and changed the date and time and all of a sudden the computer started running like new again,I got to download Chrome and searching and it works perfect..so the dead 2032 battery was all that was keeping it from basically doing anything,so I got lucky ! I am going to load the McAfee 2019 on it and it will be ready to go..Thank you for all the info,I did learn a few things and will be here reading posts/threads daily,I need to smarten up a lot and be able to fix my own computers.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

April 14th, 2019 18:00

I'm glad you got your computers going.

It surprises me that upon startup, an error msg. wasn't appearing letting you know the battery is low or dead, or "System voltage is low," then "F1 to continue," and so on.  Amazing the problems caused just by a low or dead battery.

Your malware removal disk should tell you if you need to turn off any other antivirus before using.  Hopefully it's the newest version possible.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 15th, 2019 09:00

Hibernation requires ADMIN Command Prompt

You type 

powercfg -h  off

or

powercfg    /hibernate  off

THERE ARE SPACES IN THERE.

HIBERNATE OFFHIBERNATE OFF

2.5K Posts

both the coppertop and pink bunny company told you life span 5-7 years.

why not believe them , some china clones Ive seen last 3 days, some even leaked. chems.

on any PC over 5 years old COIN CELL COIN CELL, if you are a tech you need to learn this first.

on laptops the main battery huge shorts and the VRMs go nuts.

the PC can last 20 to 50 years, not one battery ever made that trip not one, ever.

the Flash memory is rated for 100 years. I have huge collections of electronics over 50  years all still good.

but HDD and CCLF and batteries fail and fail fast, in comparison.

I look at electronics,  and see 2 things,  things that last and all that does not last.

AGE I first I carbon14 date all that I touch,..... 

wiki OptiPlex see those are OLD .

i'd up grade to OptiPlex 3000 up. a far better PC.

780 is 10 years old today.

990 is 2011, 8 years old, (as old as)

if diskspace is low , use Linux to see that it agrees.

if still low , runs SMART tests if it fails you know why.

if still low and HDD is ok then there are some files 10 times normal size there, bogus files.

finding them can be easy or hard, that depends on how many folders were added in 10 years,

if backed up reload the OS from scratch after running free killdisk,  program. or DBAN.  (fast mode)

some hDD now show up bad this old , after cleaning off and SMART fails now, gee its 10 year old drive, and is OLD.

this  is how to think about HDD, it's due to die, so why am I not testing it 100% , why NOT.

or pop in  new SSD and end this HDD slug rust pain,,,,, best answer.....!

2.5K Posts

first off im a big time hardware guy (ex intel) and software is like dirty socks, if dirty , new socks fast , RECOVERY from install media. (way ever play games with infections. )

never use mcAfee, it is not good that. (use AVG or ESET or if w10 defender works)

you are failing job one, as tech you test the hdd first using SMART DISK tests.

never never mess with any bad HDD, ok, unless loading window fresh 10 times and failing is fun./?

if SMART show it is bad it is, or if the unrecoverable sectors are greater than 0 then the HDD is TOAST.(think like this, if smart fails, the "water bucket bottom" is rusted through with holes and will get worse ever day from now on, yes HOPELESS)

so if the HDD test pass.   we then load fresh OS, we assume you are backed up, that is your job and worry.

it costs nothing at all. (DVD costs or 16GB usb stick cost) keep in your tool kit, all tech do that. or windows PE same.

if HDD is ok  you nor even GAWD can clean off 99.9% of all infections why do that?

fresh load windows. NOW.

if windows 10 it has this new W10 to W10 inline upgrade mode, got 10?

win10 even is free to download and run for 30 days for zero cost.

even the PC, loading  to a test HDD that is good, just to prove it work on this PC. if nothing else.

my kit looks like this.

USB all.

w10 install

w7 install

unbuntu v16 and 17

windows PE 7 and 10

I can run any test I want depending on age of PC. 

never try to diagnose any infected PC. (no man needs this pain, none)

the corruption can be infection or just a bad hDD you are ignoring,  facts.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Cleanmgr.exe is part of windows. There is nothing to download.

You press windows key R  and type cleanmgr.exe into the dialog to run it.

CLEANMGR.EXECLEANMGR.EXE

You then Press the CLEAN UP SYSTEM FILES

and select everything and clean up everything.

This is NOT REMOVING The malware its just removing unnecessary files.

CLEAN UP SYSTEM FILESCLEAN UP SYSTEM FILES

No Events found!