Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SK

9 Posts

February 1st, 2019 20:00

Optiplex 790 SFF 240 watt power

Im wondering if there is a better alternative to this power supply than this one...i had one tha tlasted for 3 years or so then it fried. the second one lasted only 3 months now im on my third one...they seem to overheat fast i have plenty of cooling. they dont seem to last long..i use this computer for playing games but im wondering if theres a better alternative out there that will fit and can take longer periods of gaming time...sometimes i can play for 12 hrs...and it handled it fine but the last time i played for maybe 3-4 hrs and it fried. maybe it was the game i was playing? idk. ive had this new power source for only a day now . im using it very light becasue its expansive to fix. im wondeirng if im just better off getting a new computer....this will be pricey having to replace a bum power source every few months or sooner. so....some suggestions please  model number H240AS-00. i have a hard time believing the guy who put together this computer used the same power source as this it lasted much longer before...

9 Posts

February 1st, 2019 21:00

just to add...thats my power source but on my computer case it says Optiplex 390 dont know if that makes a difference 

40 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 11:00

Is there a discrete graphics card installed for gaming ?

If yes, it perhaps could be drawing too much power?

fwiw, you would probably be better off in the long run if you replace your PC with one that is fitted with a standard ATX power supply unit, so you have the option to specify 3rd party higher capacity (eg. 550W) quality PSUs to serve any installed graphics card. 

Unclear from your posts whether you have a 790 or 390 (motherboards are not interchangeable, but PSUs are probably the same).   If you are not sure yourself, look up the service tag in the BIOS, and then visit Dell's website https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?app=warranty

fwiw, you could even consider the 390/790 (Intel 2nd gen) or 3010/7010/9010 (Intel 2nd & 3rd gen) in MT (Mini Tower) case format.  These use standard ATX power supply units, so you could fit an uprated 3rd party quality power supply to serve any installed power hungry graphics card.  Note that any graphics card fitted to your SFF will have a low-profile bracket fitted and the MT cases require cards with full-height brackets.

9 Posts

February 8th, 2019 21:00

i ave a nvidia grapics card 760 i think.

9 Posts

February 8th, 2019 21:00

i was also thinkng its drawing too much power for a small 250 watt. but thats the highest tehy sell. the compter itself is fine. the first power source i would play games for sometimes 10 hrs a day and everything would be fine mayenb it was the game i was playing... and that source alsted 3-4 years...this last one maybe they used the wrond replacement part but i think only 1 fits it and its teh 250 watt but thats just not strong enough i wish they'd make and stronger one....it does good everywhere but that...i was looking at buying a new compter but Dell is affordable and everything is good with it but just  power sources.

No Events found!