Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2020 12:00

Optiplex 790 SFF RAM Errors

So I have a 790 SFF that's been sitting unused for a couple months, since I switched over to a 790 minitower.  Anyway, at startup I get a solid blue power button, as well as a solid 1 and 3 amber numbers.  Dells support documents say that means this:

" Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error has occurred."

But I know the RAM works fine, and even when I swapped out RAM from my 790 minitower, which was what came in the SFF originally, I still get the same problem. So even the very same RAM I used in the SFF when it was my main system won't work.  And I'm now running that same RAM again in my minitower, and typing this post with it.  Also, I tried this with both an i5 2400 and an i3 2100.  Same result.

The system doesn't post at all.  Just sits there powered on with the lights mentioned above.

So what can I do?  It doesn't like any RAM at all.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 30th, 2020 18:00

There's 2 methods to try with the RAM.  Remove the RAM down to one stick.  Power up and see what it does.  If the error doesn't repeat, insert one stick, power up, and so on.  If you know all of your RAM is working, this could eliminate a bad DIMM slot.  Of course, power off and unplug anytime working on the inside of a PC.  Use power button to drain power from it when unplugged.

The second method:  With all 4 sticks of RAM, or however many you have, just one at a time in slot 1.  Do this if the error, blue light and 1 & 3, just keeps repeating.  What if it's slot 1?  Try one known working stick in all the slots.  Furthermore, with 2 sticks of RAM, try slots 1 & 3 and then 2 & 4.

You said the RAM works in your 790 MT.  If the above troubleshooting steps don't work, it's likely a bad MB.  As proven in this forum, the 790 is pretty flexible in terms of RAM as compared to some other units.

478 Posts

June 18th, 2020 12:00

My first thought is there's a problem on the motherboard. Check for anything shorting traces on the circuit board or memory sockets (like christmas tinsel, etc.)

Most likely the mainboard died.

June 18th, 2020 13:00

I just tried with no RAM at all and got the no RAM indicator, which is a solid blue power button, and solid amber 1.  So it can see when RAM is or isn't there, but can't use it.  It's the exact proper spec the system needs. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 19th, 2020 23:00

Replace the size 2032 CMOS battery if it hasn't been done within the last 5 yrs.  A low battery can cause all sorts of bizarre problems.  It can often be one of the first things to rule out when problems occur.

June 20th, 2020 11:00

What are you talking about?  It's $5 Canadian for 5x batteries with free shipping.

Are you okay?  Because I think you're seeing things.

478 Posts

June 20th, 2020 11:00

$16 CAD for a 2032 battery? You can do better than that I think.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 20th, 2020 18:00

Ha ha ha, but, here in the U.S., it shows $10.99 shipping.

Something I haven't repeated for a while is Sony batteries look like a good deal, but they don't last 5 yrs.  They lasted me around 2.  Energizer and Duracell do better.

Capture+_2020-06-20-20-32-15.png

478 Posts

June 20th, 2020 18:00

It says

Shipping:
C $10.99 Canada Post

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 20th, 2020 19:00

I can't correct my misspell of "Cananda" since editing replies have been on a short little timer.

Online, I wouldn't trust anything priced below Dollar Tree batteries.

I guess it's obviously more expensive for Americans.  I'm in Canada though.

Also, I confirmed they were the same type of battery that was in my SFF, so I already bought them, and there are 5.  But I will take your advice for next time and buy Duracell or Energizer.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 6.55.00 PM.png

478 Posts

Brad, a while back I was reading somewhere on the net about lots of sony cr2032 batteries  that were counterfeit. Apparently these batteries performed well in applications that normally use a good deal of current, like flashlights etc. But they didn't last as long as they should for low drain uses or shelf storage.

There was photos of the real and counterfeit packaging, but you'd never notice the difference unless you were looking for it. Amazed me that anyone would go to the trouble to fake a $1 item, but I guess if they can move millions it adds up to good profit.

478 Posts

June 20th, 2020 20:00

I buy a good bit of dollar tree batteries. They have "sunbeam" brand regular & alkaline. They work well in things like remotes, cheap flashlights, kerosene heaters. I'm sure they don't last like duracell or eveready, but you don't need a wheelbarrow to carry your cash in to buy them. Sometimes they have panasonic brand too.

They have a very small selection of button cells ; I don't recall ever seeing any cr 2032.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

June 20th, 2020 21:00

I mainly buy name brand online.  Deals are usually better than Walmart.  I've had too many off-brand batteries leak.  One brand I like outside of Energizer and Duracell is Maxell.  Do they ever last a long time in remotes.

No Events found!