Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

February 11th, 2019 12:00

Optiplex 9010 SFF - 3 monitor issue, followed Dell's steps

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF, i7-3770, 8GB of memory and three monitors I need working.

I have the following monitors:

-Dell P2312H (VGA Connection)
-Lenovo LT2452P (DP connection)
-Lenovo L2251x (DP connection)

I am in the same situation as the user below.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-9010-Multiple-Monitors-question/td-p/5176724/page/2

I have followed steps and guides to no avail.  The 9010 does see my 3 monitors but can only have two active at a time.

There are no adapters between the monitors and CPU.  DP to DP, DP to DP and VGA to VGA. Nothing else.

I have done a fresh install of Windows 7 and updated all the drivers (including BIOS) using Dell Support Assistant.

Everything is done and fresh, upto date but this still does not work.

I know there is no solution for it. I do not want to buy any additional adapters (DP to DVI). Dell states that this computer should project just fine to three displays using 2xDP and 1xVGA, but it does not.

This is in our organization and I have about 25 of these stations that require deployment and 3 displays so I need to figure out a way to make this work.

Has anybody found a solution for this idiotic problem?

/frustrated.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2019 19:00

Whether it is suppose to work or not ...

IMO, trying to get 3 monitors to work on i7-3770's Intel integrated graphics (HD-4000) is not a realistic expectation.

Run 2 only ... or install a dedicated video card (which might be difficult with a SFF ... if possible at all) .

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 05:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

Whether it is suppose to work or not ...

IMO, trying to get 3 monitors to work on i7-3770's Intel integrated graphics (HD-4000) is not a realistic expectation.

Run 2 only ... or install a dedicated video card (which will be difficult with a SFF ... if possible at all) .

Thank you for your opinion, but technical specifications speak more. As others have pointed out in the many threads, this processor can run 3 displays:

# of Displays Supported ‡3

https://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3-90-GHz-

Even using Dell's link here:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln80450/limitations-on-using-three-displays-through-integrated-intel-hd-4000-video-on-optiplex-7010-and-9010?lang=en

"Some users may report issues when trying to get three displays to work on the OptiPlex 7010 or 9010 through the Intel HD 4000 Integrated Video solution. Intel and Dell documentation state that the integrated HD 4000 video solution is able to support three displays natively."

"The configurations that support 3 displays are limited to the ones listed below."

"Two (2) displays connected DisplayPort to DisplayPort (No adapters) and one display connected through VGA. (Recommended configuration)"

THIS! The above is what I am doing.  This is what Dell's recommended solution is.  

Everything from the specifications of the processor to Dell state that this should work.

I cannot believe that this is an issue and that dell has not produced a solution.  Just sweep it under a rug mentality is all I see.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2019 10:00

@gandaio1 wrote:

1. Thank you for your opinion, but technical specifications speak more.

2. As others have pointed out in the many threads, this processor can run 3 displays: Everything from the specifications of the processor to Dell state that this should work.

3. I cannot believe that this is an issue and that dell has not produced a solution.  Just sweep it under a rug mentality is all I see.

1. Really?

2. And some (like you ) have trouble. Yeah, we all got that. So, how much closer are you to 3 displays?    At least my recommendation has a chance of working. It's also the more accepted way to do it. 

3. Regardless, I don't think Dell will be fixing a (secondary) feature on a 6 year old computer. That's why I posted (to try to help you) in the first place.

573 Posts

February 12th, 2019 23:00

Hi @gandaio1 ,

I know how it feel, bro, co'z I've got similar experience with frustration before on some ThinkVision + ThinkPad. Here's something from WiKi that may help in your case while it DID solve mine!

"...Ivy Bridge
HD 2500 and HD 4000 GPUs in Ivy Bridge CPUs are advertised as supporting three active monitors, but many users have found that this does not work for them due to the chipsets only supporting two active monitors in many common configurations. The reason for this is that the chipsets only include two phase-locked loops (PLLs); a PLL generates a pixel clock at a certain frequency which is used to sync the timings of data being transferred between the GPU and displays.

Therefore, three simultaneously active monitors can only be achieved by a hardware configuration that requires only two unique pixel clocks, such as:

• Using two or three DisplayPort connections, as they require only a single pixel clock for all connections. Passive adapters from DisplayPort to some other connector rely on the chipset being able to emit a non-DisplayPort signal through the DisplayPort connector, and thus do not count as a DisplayPort connection. Active adapters that contain additional logic to convert the DisplayPort signal to some other format count as a DisplayPort connection.
  • By using two non-DisplayPort connections of the same connection type (for example, two HDMI connections) and the same clock frequency (like when connected to two identical monitors at the same resolution), so that a single unique pixel clock can be shared between both connections.
  • Using the Embedded DisplayPort on a mobile CPU along with any two other outputs."

Despite your Dell monitor on VGA, let's check out the 2 Lenovo ThinkVision:

LT2452P

• Clock frequency: 205MHz
  • Horizontal addressability: 1920 pixels (max)
  • Vertical addressability: 1200 lines (max)

L2251x (page #23)

• Clock frequency: 205MHz
  • Horizontal addressability: 1680 pixels (max)
  • Vertical addressability: 1050 lines (max)

Voilà! You got it now, right? Yes! The 2 different ThinkVision occupied 2 unique pixel clocks already and thus no rooms for the third connection (VGA). It also explained why 2 displays in your case always works no matter if DP#1+VGA or DP#2+VGA or DP#1+DP#2.

Just a short test: Try connect 2 identical ThinkVison to the 2 DP ports and the Dell monitor on VGA, then see if it do the tricks. Good luck, dude!

November 15th, 2019 22:00

I have the EXACT same issue! I have 2 DisplayPort to DisplayPort and 1 VGA. Only one can be active at a time no matter what type of configuration I use. Did you ever find a solution?

No Events found!