Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 6th, 2018 19:00

Optiplex 9010, install my good i7-2600 CPU and Win7 Pro 64

Hello, my current Dell OptiPlex 990 w/ i7-2600 is having MB issues.  I am tired of dealing with it.  I found a party selling New Dell Optiplex 9010 Barebones Systems for cheap.  They were never used and have everything but the CPU / Cooler, HDD and no OS.  I asked the seller and he said there are no Service Tags on any of them (they are still new in the box). 

My question is, if pick one up, can I install my good i7-2600 CPU / cooler in the new system?  I will also use a new SDD and HDD.  I set up my old Optiplex 990 to load Win7 Pro from a USB drive to a SSD on that system.  Win7 Pro self-activated.

Another question is : Would an install of a Win7 Pro ISO (I would use Rufus to convert to a USB like I did on OptiPlex 990) work on the new system (the Dell OptiPlex 9010 that was never used and does not have a Service Tag on it?) and self activate?.  I also have a new DELL Recovery DISC (Win7 Professional SP1 64-bit).  I don't fully understand how DELL embeds the Win7 key in the BIOS and was wondering if it would be embedded on system that was never loaded with Windows or sold.

Thanks for any help.

367 Posts

March 11th, 2018 20:00

Why an i7 2600 you can go up to a i7 3770k instead? As for cooler the only custom one would be corsair h80i v2 with a new quiet fan. Especially considering since the backplate is not standard LGA 1155 one. As for activation of windows, there should be a Certificate of Authenticity sticker outside the case of the computer. There will be a product key on there so when windows asks for it type that one and activation should work since this PC was not used.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have a good i7-2600 from my other machine that is no longer working, so I was going to use that with this never used Optiplex 9010 barebones set up.  I don't think the unused barebones system even had the Win 7 COA sticker on it, so I may have to purchase Win7 Pro.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 28th, 2018 05:00

SLP key for Windows is not guaranteed because Dell sells systems with other OS including FREEDOS for the N Series

http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/

as well as UBUNTU in china etc.

ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso   

No Events found!