Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 08:00

Optiplex 9020 AIO, No Post

I have an Optiplex 9020 AIO that will not post. When powering up, the screen is black, and there is no normal Dell splash logo or other post activity. I attached an external monitor to rule out the display being the problem, and the behavior is the same. Here is additional information that may be helpful:

• Removed both sticks of RAM, powered up, and heard beeps
  • Reseated both sticks of RAM
  • Disconnected the HD
  • Removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS to defaults

With the above bullet points completed, I powered up the machine. Still no post, and the power light is flashing amber 3 flashes, short pause, 7 flashes. It repeats itself. I speculate that is the code for a missing HD, as the flashing no longer occurred once I plugged the HD back in and powered up the system (still with no post). 

So, in spite of all troubleshooting steps, I cannot get the system to post. Any thoughts or suggestions will be very much appreciated. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Are you able to run the pre boot Dell Diagnostics to see if the hard drive or other hardware has failed? The light sequence says it is that very unhelpful Other Failure. 

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/optiplex-9020-desktop/opt9020mtom-v2/power-led-diagnostics?guid=guid-52106768-c0ec-411e-a583-375a950df672&lang=en-us

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

3, 7 flashes indicate a possible memory error:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#2012_to_Present

Do you have other memory sticks that you can try in the system? If not, try them one at a time in each slot.

You can also test the LCD:

With the system plugged with a known good power source, hold the menu button located on the right side of the chassis.
While holding the menu button, press the power button to invoke the LCD BIST. At this point, you will see a series of colours flashing on-screen. Once LCD BIST is completed, the system should display the Dell logo and proceed to boot.

Let us know how you get on.

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 14:00

By the way, I appreciate the responses. Still no working solution, but having the community available to help is very much appreciated. 

37 Posts

May 8th, 2018 03:00

Hi ChurchIT,

Were you able to test the memory one at a time or with some different memory from another system that is working? 

Thanks, 

Mick.

7 Posts

May 8th, 2018 06:00

Mick,

I was unable to do so, because systems like it are all in use. However, I did check each memory stick individually in each memory bank leaning on the improbability that both sticks failed at the same time. The system still failed to post regardless of which bank each memory stick was installed in. 

37 Posts

May 8th, 2018 06:00

I'd agree its pretty improbable that all of the memory failed at the same time, sounds more like a motherboard issue then if anything. If you can PM (envelope in the top right) over your service tag I can have a further look into this for you.

Thanks.

No Events found!