Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2021 16:00

Optiplex 9020 Microphone Not Working, Audio is

The audio works just fine on my friends Optiplex 9020 and the microphone was working fine for weeks after he bought it but it just broke and doesn't work. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it and I'm stuck. I tried installing wave maxxx audio pro and it would install but it wouldn't launch and as it couldn't load because of an outdated windows update so we updated it and still, it didn't work. Any ideas? Any help is greatly apricated!!

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 4th, 2021 18:00

No.  What I do know is some mics only last so long.  I've had 2-3 low-end mics die in a row.  If one pays a little more for a better mic, it's not just better sound quality they're getting, but something that lasts longer.

You know how sometimes some music artists drop the mic?  It's discouraged unless they own the mic because that can kill it.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2021 17:00

20200502_163334~4.jpg

Open the sound window either by clicking on sound icon in Control Panel or right clicking on speaker in task bar and choosing the correct option.  Click recording tab > double-click microphone icon > new window opens > click listen tab > make sure box is checked for 'Listen to this device.'  (By the way, I know 'Line in' is highlighted in screengrab and not the microphone, but you get it.)

If the 'Listen to this device' box is already checked, try a different microphone.  Wasn't it the microphone that broke?  Dead mikes often don't fix and need to be replaced.

20 Posts

October 4th, 2021 04:00

Thank you for the quick reply and I will try it tonight!

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 4th, 2021 12:00

Yah, for 'line in' and microphone, the 'Listen to this device' boxes are unchecked by default.

20 Posts

October 4th, 2021 16:00

I tried it and it didn't work so that means the mic is dead and if so do you have any idea what could kill the microphone?

20 Posts

October 9th, 2021 04:00

Im getting a new mic and it will be here tomorrow so Ill let you know if replacing the mic works

20 Posts

October 13th, 2021 13:00

the new mic FINALLY arrived and it works great. thanks for all your help!!

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

October 13th, 2021 15:00

You're welcome and glad it's working!! : )  Otherwise, it would've been check the rear input jack; make sure internal connections are tight for the front I/O panel; possibly replace front I/O panel if rear jack works, but not the front.

20 Posts

October 13th, 2021 15:00

ok, thank you again for all of your help!!!

No Events found!