Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 06-30-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Optiplex 990 dt not booting

Before saying anything, I am no tech professional nor do I know if the following is right or not, or if my methods and workaround are harmful or wrong.

A few months ago I bought a 250 gb crucial MX500 SSD and installed windows 10 on it with MBR which I believe caused the drive to always fail to boot and give the error "Selected boot device failed", however I found out that I get the option to select either the OS on the SSD or my previous HDD if I boot into the HDD first. So I sticked to that workaround for a while, until I needed the space that the old system is occupying.

I've done some research and I believed if I reinstall windows 10 but with GPT instead, I'll be able to directly boot into the SSD without any problems or any need for windows on the older HDD. With that being said, I've tried to do that this morning and I've ran into several issues:

After reinstalling Windows 10 with GPT, I was unable to boot into ANY drive while the SSD was connected. It gives me the error "Another failure has occurred." (using the diagnostic lights) with a blank monitor. I had to disconnect the SSD to be able to boot into any of the other drives.

After reconnecting the SSD, I was able to boot into the rest of the drives (but not the SSD) once only. Meaning if I restart my pc I'll end up with the same issue mentioned above. 

I managed to use the first method to get into the SSD, however after restarting to install some updates, I'm now stuck with the following errors according to the diagnostic lights which keep switching after every restart:

"A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred."

"A possible expansion card failure has occurred."

I'm current unable to enter the boot menu or leave the dell splash screen, and I have no clue on what is going on anymore or what to do. Again, I don't know if any of the methods or the things I've mentioned before are correct. I basically worked my way using some sort of trial and error method, which might've not been the best idea after all. I'd appreciate any kind of help with my situation.

Details of the PC:

Dell Optiplex 990 (2009-2012 models)

i5-2500 3.3GHz

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2g

12 GB RAM 2x2 sticks + 4x2 sticks

500 GB Western Digital HDD (Came with the PC)

250 GB Crucial MX500 SSD (Bought from amazon)

Labels (2)
Replies (0)
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions