Highlighted
sul3sul
1 Nickel

Optiplex with Intel's 8th generation processors

Hello,

Is there any news about the release date Optiplex with Intel's 8th generation processors?

Regards;

Labels (4)
7 Replies
elpro999dell
3 Argentium

Re: Optiplex with Intel's 8th generation processors

Currently, the Optiplex 7050 supports 7th gen Intel CPU and it is not likely dell will update it since there is little justification to use a different Chipset to integrate support for 8th Gen and call it a new product. As of the time, this post was written the only dell product to support 8th Gen Intel CPU is the Inspiron 5680. This is my opinion I am not a dell insider to know such information but it is my guess.

-elpro999

I do not work for dell. I am also a user.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Hopefully OptiPlex continues to stay many months behind ... give this cutting-edge stuff some time to mature before inserting it into mission-critical work-load environments.

A client just got some new OptiPlex 5050-SFF (i5, 8gb, NVMe-SSD) and 27inch UltraSharps. They think they are awesome workstations and I would have to agree.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
vgauto
1 Copper

Its taking longer than expected for dell to release 8th gen to the optiplex linup. 7th gen 5050 stock is dwindling and im starting to wonder how long i have to keep buying 4 threaded workstations. In comparison, de xps and latitude lineups are using 8th gen for quite a while now. Infact hexacore cpu's are already starting to appear in latitude's accoring to this release.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@vgautowrote:

Its taking longer than expected for dell to release 8th gen to the optiplex linup. 7th gen 5050 stock is dwindling and im starting to wonder how long i have to keep buying 4 threaded workstations. In comparison, de xps and latitude lineups are using 8th gen for quite a while now. Infact hexacore cpu's are already starting to appear in latitude's accoring to this release.

Well, I've seen todays Intel-i3 benchmark faster than yesterdays i7's ... so there's that. Those 5050's we installed are crazy-fast, and they are just little baby computers.

Pretty sure all desktop i7's are 8-threaded now-days (and have been for some time).

Businesses can buy Precision Workstations too ... but the girls in account simply don't need that.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
scottleslie
1 Copper

Big difference with 8th gen is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0b.  Also they have updated the QuickSync engine.  So if you are into Video, it's a must!

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@scottlesliewrote:

Big difference with 8th gen is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0b.  Also they have updated the QuickSync engine.  So if you are into Video, it's a must!

Nice. But I didn't know people were buying OptiPlexes to edit and render video with on-board graphics. Isn't that what Precision Workstations (with dedicated video-cards) are for?

Can I get an OptiPlex with a big Power-Supply and a Liquid-Cooler?

0 Kudos
elpro999dell
3 Argentium

@Tesla1856wrote:

@scottlesliewrote:

Nice. But I didn't know people were buying OptiPlexes to edit and render video with on-board graphics. Isn't that what Precision Workstations (with dedicated video-cards) are for?

Can I get an OptiPlex with a big Power-Supply and a Liquid-Cooler?

Yes if you add it like I did:

-elpro999

I do not work for dell. I am also a user.

0 Kudos