Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 20th, 2018 11:00

Optiplex with Intel's 8th generation processors

Hello,

Is there any news about the release date Optiplex with Intel's 8th generation processors?

Regards;

367 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

Currently, the Optiplex 7050 supports 7th gen Intel CPU and it is not likely dell will update it since there is little justification to use a different Chipset to integrate support for 8th Gen and call it a new product. As of the time, this post was written the only dell product to support 8th Gen Intel CPU is the Inspiron 5680. This is my opinion I am not a dell insider to know such information but it is my guess.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

Hopefully OptiPlex continues to stay many months behind ... give this cutting-edge stuff some time to mature before inserting it into mission-critical work-load environments.

A client just got some new OptiPlex 5050-SFF (i5, 8gb, NVMe-SSD) and 27inch UltraSharps. They think they are awesome workstations and I would have to agree.

1 Message

April 25th, 2018 02:00

Its taking longer than expected for dell to release 8th gen to the optiplex linup. 7th gen 5050 stock is dwindling and im starting to wonder how long i have to keep buying 4 threaded workstations. In comparison, de xps and latitude lineups are using 8th gen for quite a while now. Infact hexacore cpu's are already starting to appear in latitude's accoring to this release.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2018 22:00

@vgautowrote:

Its taking longer than expected for dell to release 8th gen to the optiplex linup. 7th gen 5050 stock is dwindling and im starting to wonder how long i have to keep buying 4 threaded workstations. In comparison, de xps and latitude lineups are using 8th gen for quite a while now. Infact hexacore cpu's are already starting to appear in latitude's accoring to this release.

Well, I've seen todays Intel-i3 benchmark faster than yesterdays i7's ... so there's that. Those 5050's we installed are crazy-fast, and they are just little baby computers.

Pretty sure all desktop i7's are 8-threaded now-days (and have been for some time).

Businesses can buy Precision Workstations too ... but the girls in account simply don't need that.

May 7th, 2018 11:00

Big difference with 8th gen is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0b.  Also they have updated the QuickSync engine.  So if you are into Video, it's a must!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 7th, 2018 14:00

@scottlesliewrote:

Big difference with 8th gen is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0b.  Also they have updated the QuickSync engine.  So if you are into Video, it's a must!

Nice. But I didn't know people were buying OptiPlexes to edit and render video with on-board graphics. Isn't that what Precision Workstations (with dedicated video-cards) are for?

Can I get an OptiPlex with a big Power-Supply and a Liquid-Cooler?

367 Posts

May 16th, 2018 18:00

@Tesla1856wrote:

@scottlesliewrote:

Nice. But I didn't know people were buying OptiPlexes to edit and render video with on-board graphics. Isn't that what Precision Workstations (with dedicated video-cards) are for?

Can I get an OptiPlex with a big Power-Supply and a Liquid-Cooler?

Yes if you add it like I did:

No Events found!