Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2020 15:00

Reinstalled Windows 7 and now no network operation

I have a Dell Optiplex Desktop PC.  I was having some difficulty with software issues so I reinstalled Windows 7 Professional.  The installation was uneventful and all on-board devices (audio, video, USB) were operational with one exception.  The on-board network no longer functions.  I checked Device Manager and it shows the Network device installed but no driver.  I went to the Dell download site and downloaded a network driver.  However, Windows 7 does not detect the driver.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to restore my network connection to the internet.

Bob, W.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 07:00

All of the drivers are in a single cab file

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000103579/dell-command-deploy-driver-packs-for-windows-7-8-and-8-1

Download the cab  file

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04897211M/1/9020-WIN7-A13-MH44X.CAB

The AIO has a different cab file

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04898580M/1/9020%20AIO-WIN7-A12-CH48X.CAB

Move it to my documents folder

Download and install 7zip

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Open the my documents folder and Rignt Click on the cab file using 7zip and say extract here.

Then go into device manager and say update drivers from my pc instead of the internet for any yellow ! in device manager.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 24th, 2020 13:00

You have rootkit malware that is interfering with the windows installer.Rootkits are a type of malware that are designed so that they can remain hidden on your computer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Drive-by downloads can be especially troublesome. These happen when you visit a website and it automatically installs malware on your computer. You don’t have to click on anything or download anything from the site for this to happen. And it’s not just suspicious websites that can cause this. Hackers can embed malicious code in legitimate sites to cause these automatic downloads.

You will have to get a new drive and install clean then recover your data using a drive dock

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 26th, 2020 07:00

@ididntdoit99 

"How have you come to this conclusion without any evidence?

Also a new HDD and reinstall of windows seems far even if that was the issue, I feel like this is a large jump in diagnosing an issue that we don't know that much about, especially if your comment was the last on the thread for anyone later visiting."

The evidence is in plain site.  Rootkit and Winsock as well as interference with the windows installer. Thats also why a clean install fixed the problem.

If a clean install didnt fix the problem then there might have been a cable issue or hardware issue.

Your assessment that reinstall is not neccesary assumes that people are willing to remotely try to figure out what is wrong for hours and hours for free via the Psychic Friends Network.  I do not know who would be willing to do this so if you do then you should post that as such. Otherwise you can take your indignation elswhere.

December 22nd, 2020 17:00

What model is your pc?

did you make sure to select windows 7 on Dells driver support page and have you confirmed the cable works or tried on another pc?

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 05:00

This is a Dell Optiplex 9020 Desktop PC.  The PC performed correctly before thge reinstallation of Windows 7 Professional.  After the Windows reinstall, I can not connect to the internet.  I went to Device Manager and discovered that a number of motherboard device drivers are now missing. The missing drivers are:

Ethernet Controller

PCI Serial port

PCI Simple Communications Controller

SM Bus Controller

USB Controller

I went to the Dell site on another PC and downloaded drivers and attempted to load them on the Dell 9020.  Each time I tried to load the driver, I get this error message

" The procedure entry point AddDllDirectory could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32dll"

Thanks for any asistance.

Bob W.

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 13:00

I downloaded the cab file, unzipped it in the Documents directory, and went to Device Manager.  I attempted to first load the Network Device driver.  I pointed to the file in the Documents directory and I receive an error message

"Windows was unable to install your Ethernet Controller.  Windows could not find the driver software for your device."

Have I missed something?

December 23rd, 2020 14:00

Out of curiosity have you tried the Intel Device Manager Diagnostics Utility (DMIX)?

here's a link to the download https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER04568507M/3/Intel-Device-Manager-Diagnostics-Utility_DX8CM_WIN_22.3.108.0_A04.EXE

this download link is for the OptiPlex 9020 Windows 7 64Bit 

5 Posts

December 24th, 2020 06:00

I did download and try to execute the utility and I still get the same error message that I gwet with every dell file that I have triewd

"The procedure entry point AddDllDirectory could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

Many thanks for all your input

December 24th, 2020 08:00

Have you checked you have the service packs installed? You can do this by following these steps

1. Select the Start button > All programs Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, select Check for updates.

3. If any important updates are found, select the link to view available updates. In the list of updates, select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932) and then select OK.

Note: If SP1 isn’t listed, you might need to install some other updates before installing SP1. Install any important updates and then follow these steps again to check for SP1.

4. Select Install updates

You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

5. Follow the instructions to install SP1.

6. After SP1 is installed, sign in to your PC. You might see a notification indicating whether the update was successful. If you disabled your antivirus software before the installation, make sure you turn it back on.

please try to update your drivers after following the above steps.

I would say I more likely fix in the long term would be to update to windows 10 as support for windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020.

you will probably have more luck however if you are set on windows 7 trying the above could help.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

December 24th, 2020 10:00

Another thing you could try is the Dell Command | Update utility. I have an OptiPlex 7040, and he's always able to get updates that way, then again, running Windows 10, build 2004. Not sure how much of a difference that would make, though this does sound a bit familiar to me, too. 

December 25th, 2020 21:00

How have you come to this conclusion without any evidence? 

Also a new HDD and reinstall of windows seems far even if that was the issue, I feel like this is a large jump in diagnosing an issue that we don't know that much about, especially if your comment was the last on the thread for anyone later visiting.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2020 06:00

Thanks for all your input.  I replaced the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 7 and everything appears to be fine.  All drivers loaded.

Thanks again

No Events found!