Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2018 08:00

SSD not getting detected on windows only on bios

Ok so recently I got 2 ssds the boot one worked and booted up but 2 weeks later I put a new one in with everything plugged in correctly but it doesn't show up on windows only in bios when click F2 

Model DELL OPTIPLEX 3020MT

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 15th, 2018 10:00

Advanced Format Drives require F6 mass storage drivers to install.  Otherwise you have to set Secure Boot OFF, Legacy ATA or the drive will NEVER be seen.  The driver cannot be a CAB File or a ZIP file it must be extracted to the ROOT. Use 7 zip to extract the STORAGE files from the CAB or ZIP.  Then when you do load driver its recommended that these be on the same USB flash drive that you install from.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

This is true for windows 7 or 8 or 10.

Drives larger than 2TB REQUIRE MINIMUM INTEL RST 10.1 and Drives that are BOOT require UEFI GPT Boot Partitions.

MBR Partitions are 2TB MAX.

Intel RST replaces Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  HOWEVER you cannot update to your hearts content from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 to 13 etc.  As the drivers and chipsets get newer the older ICH5 6 7 8 9 etc are dropped from support.  

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../15251
Version 9.6.0.1014  may be the max for your motherboard

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID"

Lowest version that supports larger than 2TB is RST Version  10.1.0.1008

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../20768

In general INTEL RST Version 10,11,12,13  ICH8

IMSM = Earlier Version of the Driver.

IMSM is NOT EQUAL to INTEL RST

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version 9.6 and newer supports 4k sector disks if the device supports 512 byte emulation (512e). Intel® RST does not support 4k native sector size devices.

What happens if I try to use an older version of the driver?

If you try to install the operating system on a 512e disk with a driver older than Intel® RST version 9.6, the install process might not complete EVER.  This driver is not validated with your XPS and may not work at all. There will be ZERO support for this if its not working.  INSTALLING THIS DRIVER if its not working can lead to 100 percent loss of all data.  Do so at your own RISK.  Installing a version Higher than the supported chipset does the same thing.  All Raid Data lost restart from zero.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15251/RAID-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-for-Intel...

If the operating system does install, do not try to upgrade to Intel® RST version 9.6 without reinstalling your operating system.

As the versions go up the support for earlier ICH Goes Down aka not supported.

You may not have any of the following

• Intel® PCHM SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
  • Intel® PCH SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
  • Intel® ICH10R/DO SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
  • Intel® ICH10D SATA AHCI controller hub
  • Intel® ICH9M-E SATA AHCI/RAID controller hub
  • Intel® ICH9M AHCI controller hub
  • Intel® 82801IR/IO controller hub (ICH9R/DO) - RAID and AHCI
Operating System Release 4K Aware? Results
Windows XP No Creates primary partition with Alignment 1 condition (unaligned)
Windows Vista-Pre Service Pack 1 No Large sector aware but creates partitions incorrectly (unaligned)
Windows Vista-Service Pack 1 or later Yes Creates partitions with Alignment 0 condition (aligned)
Windows 7 Yes Creates partitions with Alignment 0 condition (aligned)
Windows 10 Yes Creates partitions with Alignment 0 condition (aligned)

LOAD DRIVERLOAD DRIVER

7 Posts

December 15th, 2018 08:00

Note they are the same ssds both are sandisk x300

11 Posts

right click on my computer/this pc ,select manage and then go to disk management ,do you see 2 sdd there?

7 Posts

No i unfortunately do not see it on disk management on in bios 

7 Posts

December 15th, 2018 12:00

Thanks! But the issue was that the drive didint have a letter assigned found that out with a sata to USB adapter

32 Posts

June 27th, 2022 19:00

Hello speedstep, I have the exact same problem with my M6500. I have installed a sandisk ssd plus 480gb and it is seen in the bios and by the sandisk dashboard, but it is not showing up in the disk manager or device manager, I have assigned a drive letter using a sata to usb adapter and it has been formatted in another computer. I am running windows 10 21h2. Will the drivers mentioned above work in this model laptop?

Please give me a step by step guide for the install process and the recommended driver version if this possible solution will indeed install.

Regards,

Mark 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2022 20:00

@m_fry 

Any Drive, Any Dell Model, Set SATA OPERATION to AHCI.

Any Drive Any Dell F12 boot OEM WIN10 DVD or USB 2.0 sandisk FIT drive 32 gigs fat32.

if secure boot is in bios SET TO OFF.

if CSM is in bios SET TO ON.

F12 BOOT of dvd can take a lonnnng time so wait for the squares to go away and start the spinning dots.  F12 BOOT AND INSTALL.

The process is the same for WIN7,8,10,11

The INTEL driver is NOT REQUIRED unless the bios is set to DEFAULT RAID ON OPTANE RST MODE.

(F6) pre install Driver FOR Windows Installation Setup Process
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000148150/

32 Posts

June 27th, 2022 20:00

Hi speedstep,

It is interesting that many post I have read say that the bios should be set to AHCI, which is what mine was set to. Unfortunately this did not work for this laptop. With some searching on the web some "experts" say that the bios should be set to ATA, well this is what has worked for me! I thank you for your reply and advice contained there in. I do however, not understand why the AHCI setting did failed as all my other laptops and desktops are all set to AHCI in the bios and all have not had any problems recognising sata drives in windows of any version.

Regards,

Mark

No Events found!