Highlighted
Logbi
1 Nickel

Supported memory configuration for Dell Optiplex 745?

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I would like to upgrade the memory of an old Optiplex 745. Is it supported to have 2x 1GB and 1x 2GB memory configuration? Please advise.

Thank you so much!

Logbi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Supported memory configuration for Dell Optiplex 745?

Jump to solution

2x 1GB and 1x 2GB should work fine, also adding both new 2GB sticks at the same time should work. It will save you another trip inside the case later.

If the memory sockets are color coded (.eg. two white and two black), then it has dual channel. Be sure to put the 1G devices in one color sockets, and the 2G devices in the other color sockets. If you don't, it will still run, but very slightly slower (in some applications) since it won't be able to use dual channels.

Be sure they are pushed all the way in (on both ends of the memory card) and snap the latches on each side of the memory cards closed.

Getting exactly the same ram as it currently has (except 2GB version) is surely the safest bet, but you can almost always get away with mixing brands as long as the speed and timing specs are the same.

Many times, even different speeds can get along, because the memory contains a table of supported standard jedec timings for the bios to choose from. As long as both types have an overlapping timing common to both memories (and to the motherboard), the bios will use it. So, they will run at the lowest speed common to the two types of memory. I wouldn't get memory any slower than what's in it, but the next faster speed should be fine, if you run across a good deal.

6 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Depends on the CASE Size.

DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/optiplex-745-series-%28desktop-mini-tower-and-small-form-factor%29/CT...

2 GIGS is max dimm size  and 4 or 8 gigs is max ram depending on how many ram slots your machine has.

Capture.JPG

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Logbi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Its a Mini Tower and it has 4 memory slots.  So it has 2x 1GB RAM sticks right now and I would like to populate the 3rd and 4th slots with 2GB sticks.  But I will try adding one first, so is it supported to have 2x 1GB and 1x 2GB sticks configuration?  The existing memories are DDR2 PC-5300 by the way so I guess I have to get the same kind.

Thank You!

Logbi

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

2x 1GB and 1x 2GB should work fine, also adding both new 2GB sticks at the same time should work. It will save you another trip inside the case later.

If the memory sockets are color coded (.eg. two white and two black), then it has dual channel. Be sure to put the 1G devices in one color sockets, and the 2G devices in the other color sockets. If you don't, it will still run, but very slightly slower (in some applications) since it won't be able to use dual channels.

Be sure they are pushed all the way in (on both ends of the memory card) and snap the latches on each side of the memory cards closed.

Getting exactly the same ram as it currently has (except 2GB version) is surely the safest bet, but you can almost always get away with mixing brands as long as the speed and timing specs are the same.

Many times, even different speeds can get along, because the memory contains a table of supported standard jedec timings for the bios to choose from. As long as both types have an overlapping timing common to both memories (and to the motherboard), the bios will use it. So, they will run at the lowest speed common to the two types of memory. I wouldn't get memory any slower than what's in it, but the next faster speed should be fine, if you run across a good deal.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Optiplex 745 Publications

- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Logbi 

Memory
Type 533, 667, or 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

NOTE: 2-GB 800-MHz memory modules are not supported.

Memory connectors 4

Memory modules supported 256-MB, 512-MB, 1-GB, or 2-GB non-ECC

Minimum memory dual-channel: 512 MB

single-channel: 256 MB

Maximum memory At 533 or 667 MHz: 8 GB

At 800 MHz: 4 GB

Dell™ OptiPlex™ 745 User's Guide:

Mini Tower Computer Specifications:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-745_...

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
Windows Operating System lifecycle fact sheet
Lifecycle begins when released and ends when no longer supported
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
Logbi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi donm4599x,

Thank you so much for you help!  This is exactly what Im trying to figure.